Author Topic: Pre-Cut brake lines or Fab brake lines?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline One-Eye

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • JT4x4
Pre-Cut brake lines or Fab brake lines?
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »
So I am wondering if anyone has any insight to this?  I have seen pre-cut brake lines costing up to $150 and a coil of brake line is only $50 for the stuff that Iwant.  Is it worth the extra money to get the pre-cut ones or just save the money and do it myself?  I have a double flare kit already, just need the brake line.  I haven't done brake lines in...18 years, it's been awhile.  Any input would be awesome.  Thanks

One-Eye
JT4x4 Founding Member

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Pre-Cut brake lines or Fab brake lines?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:06:40 AM »
I haven't put in a brake line in years either. It was a 94 Bronco that blew a hole in the line going to the rear end from rust just under my seat. I didn't find the job that bad. It's all a matter of how much time you have on your hands verses how much money you want to spend.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 02:33:02 AM »
When you say precut are you just talking about the straight lines or a set of pre-bent lines just for your YJ? if you find pre-bent lines buy them, they fit like a glove. but for $150, I suspect you are just talking about the straight ones.

I find double flares to be a pain to get right, if you can do a good double flare then just buy the roll of tubing and do it yourself and save some money, I'm all about low budget. it won't be pretty but it will work!  On the other hand if you have the money just buy the precut lines and get busy.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 06:06:10 AM »
its pretty easy. If you have a decent flaring tool you will be amazed at how easy the job is. Just remember to put your nut on before you start the flare lol. Ive forgotten that a time or two, made a perfect flare, then realize I forgot to slide the nut on before I did it and have to cut it off.  hehe that sucks. Also buy a small pipe cutter to make real clean cuts on the line. They make little micro ones just for brake lines.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 09:39:37 AM »
buy the roll on a few fittings i redid every break line on the dj5 in a day and don't forget to put the nut on
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/