Author Topic: The tube bed project has begun  (Read 5819 times)

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
The tube bed project has begun
« on: July 01, 2012, 05:14:03 AM »
So I started. I loved my stepside, but it had to go. Then I chopped six inches off my frame and moved my rear shackle hangers about 5 inches forward and used a longer shackle. I have amazing droop now. Lost about a foot off the rear by doing this! Plated the frame with 4"x.25" rectangle box and added a 2" reciever. Its coming together.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
Re: The tube bed project has begun
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »
Looking good. Keep us posted on the progress.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 01:55:32 AM »
Looking good. Keep us posted on the progress.

finished the frame for the new box which will be pretty small. Next Ill start bending the tube for the roll bar protection and spare mount. Man  was it hard trying to build something sqaure with a tweaked frame (from all the yanking on it in its mud days) and beat up dented cab lol.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 02:07:12 AM »
I like where this is going. Nice work
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 02:33:51 AM »
I like where this is going. Nice work

x2! nice work!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »

x2! nice work!
[/quote]

Thanks, bought my tube today. 1.75x .120 wall hrew. Kinda wish I went with .034 wall, but all the research I did say .120 will be enough. Hope to start bending tomorrow. Im getting antsy to kit the trail again damnit.

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:22:36 AM »
Wel,l finally got a chance to work on the truck for a few hours today. Got my Main bar bent up, welded in and it fit awesome. Its finally starting to look like something Hope to have it done this week.

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 04:27:08 AM »
So the hard part is over! the tube work is basically done. Little more bracing to do and sheetmetal the bed box, add lights, etc. I love this thing. No more mud truck lol, I'd say its a fulltime crawler now.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 03:57:36 AM »
Lookin good!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Lookin good!

Agreed, that looks sharp
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 06:26:41 AM »
got my taillights wired up today and they work great. Still waiting on the mounting brackets but I zip tied them for now because I had to try driving it lol. Welded up the mounting tabs for the license plate and welded the endcaps on. Its coming together!

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 04:55:44 AM »
Got my three way ratcheting tie down on today, lights mounted, I think vertical looked better, and added some fenders so I could mount things like my HiLift.

My leaf hanger position works great. I have a ton of articulation. Just about ramped out on my 30 degree ramp in both directions. A longer shock and Ill be able to ramp 1000.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:30:44 AM »
That is one bad ass rock crawler. Can't wait to see this rig on the trails. You need to take your rig to Florida Vacation next year.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline JohnC

• Trail Queen
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 01:54:31 AM »
I will. But to see it earlier come to my rock crawl in Meriden on Sunday. You will get to play on 168 feet of this

It took me about 12 hours to build this and over 200,000 tons of rocks. So come and bring your jeeping friends. Dont worry the begining is easy and the course gets progressively harder. so everyone can enjoy it to a point and get off if they think they cant continue.

Offline Jon Williams

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 03:26:36 PM »
Man I love this truck it is one BA truck ,awesome job with the mods for the roll bar by the window and the set up for the spare!! One day I will be starting something like that on my truck!! Awesome inspiration.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 03:28:54 PM by Jon Williams »
I got one life to live, so whatever it takes to live it up to the last second, I will.