Author Topic: Anyone no how to put in a no-slip locker?  (Read 4806 times)

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
Anyone no how to put in a no-slip locker?
« on: March 22, 2012, 05:33:08 AM »
hey i was wondering if any of you know much about working on the differentials and might be able to help me put my powertrax no-slip locker in????? if not ill have to pay like 150$ or so to get it in. i just dont wanna fuck anything up
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
Re: Anyone no how to put in a no-slip locker?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:50:32 AM »
hey i was wondering if any of you know much about working on the differentials and might be able to help me put my powertrax no-slip locker in????? if not ill have to pay like 150$ or so to get it in. i just dont wanna fuck anything up

its a lunch box locker pull your spiders and swap them out gravy it should be done in ,less than an hour un less you have to pull the ring gear
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 02:23:09 PM »
Lunchbox lockers are pretty straight forward. I've put a couple in. I would give you a hand, but I'm going to be out of town tomorrow and coming back late in the evening of April 1st and then I leave again on the 7th of April and don't come back until the 16th. There should be some write ups and maybe even you-tube videos to watch to get the idea of it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:34:51 AM »
yeah ill try to find some videos n stuff. i just not sure because its got springs n rods n stuff. and it came with instruction book but pictures dont help me always and writeups. i almost need to watch someone do it or have someone instruct me. i almost learn better. i dont have it right now though, i thought i did.... cause i thought my rear axle was a 8.25 but i figured out its a d35.  bout the riddler cover and the locker for the 8.25 and yeah lol its BS. so i need to UPS it back for an exchange. shitty deal. but i will post on here when i get the right one to see if anyone want to come to Canterbury n have a few beers. Good way for me to meet one of you. and if u bring your jeep my dads got 14acres here and i got a few decent trails

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 06:22:51 AM »
yeah ill try to find some videos n stuff. i just not sure because its got springs n rods n stuff. and it came with instruction book but pictures dont help me always and writeups. i almost need to watch someone do it or have someone instruct me. i almost learn better. i dont have it right now though, i thought i did.... cause i thought my rear axle was a 8.25 but i figured out its a d35.  bout the riddler cover and the locker for the 8.25 and yeah lol its BS. so i need to UPS it back for an exchange. shitty deal. but i will post on here when i get the right one to see if anyone want to come to Canterbury n have a few beers. Good way for me to meet one of you. and if u bring your jeep my dads got 14acres here and i got a few decent trails

find an 8.25 don't waste money on a d35
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 03:57:49 PM »
find an 8.25 don't waste money on a d35

X2! I don't think you will find anyone who would recommend building a D35! once you put a locker in it, it is only a matter of time of when it will break! just putting 33's on it will stress it! like gearhead said you should look for a 8.25, it should be the easist and cheapest to swap in, a Ford 8.8 is also a good choice but will require a lot more work.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:47:02 PM »
If you have a Grand Cherokee & I think you do then swapping a 8.25 would not be easy cuz the Grands only came with a D35 or an aluminum D44 & both are junk. Go with the 8.8 & be done with it.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 03:45:45 AM »
If you have a Grand Cherokee & I think you do then swapping a 8.25 would not be easy cuz the Grands only came with a D35 or an aluminum D44 & both are junk. Go with the 8.8 & be done with it.

I 110% agree with Bob.  The 8.8 will probabaly be cheaper in the long run. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 05:44:24 AM »
Another option would be a Dana 44 out of a TJ.  All the TJ Sport models would have had a D44 stock with an open diff and most likely 3.73 gears.

It would be a bolt in swap for your application.  A little more to purchase one then a 8.8, but it would be a bolt in upgrade.  Other option would be a D44 from a Rubicon, but those are big $$$.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
yeah i have so much money into this jeep im just gonna run the d35 for now, see how it does. but the 8.25 isnt hard to find, you can find it in a lot of the 2wd models, but yeah the d44 from a tj would prob be the best bet, and will probably be my next swap mission.. i still have to put the rock sliders on too but i godda fix some rot first. I just got the locker in today for the d35, cant wait to get it in and try it. if anyone feels like helping me figure this out bfor i iether bring to a shop or start messin with it let me know. i was thinkin i might try to figure somethin out this weekend

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 12:13:41 AM »
I still say this is a bad move, with the weight of a GC, once you put in a lunch box locker it is only a matter of time before.....

Having said that, jack up the vehicle as high as you can and support it with jack stand on the frame, pull the wheels and allow the axle to droop down as far as it will go. this gives you the most room to work in the differential. the PowerTrax is not that hard to install, read the directons twice before you begin. You are really just changing out the spider gears for the locker gears, you pull the center pin and the spiders will just about fall out, then the C-clips and then the side gears and the axle just slides out. while you are in there you should change out the axle seals as they are cheap and you need to pull the axles anyway. this should not take you more that a half day, just take your time and follow the directions.

Once you are done, remember to go easy with the skinny pedal other wise all that work will disappear with a loud BANG!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 06:25:22 PM by Mr Rock »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 01:46:27 AM »
Carry spare D35 shafts, and all the tools to pull them and replace then when they break.  Notice I said "when" not if, just ask Ed about the D35.  Also carry spare gear oil, and drain pan and gasket maker. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:27:43 PM »
stop giving me all the bad new and give me some luck lol im hoping it lasts for a while. if not i got spare axle in other jeep to run till i get a d44. but im praying for some good use out of it

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 08:01:50 PM »
stop giving me all the bad new and give me some luck lol im hoping it lasts for a while. if not i got spare axle in other jeep to run till i get a d44. but im praying for some good use out of it

Good luck with the install. It really isn't that bad of a job and I know most people frown on the D35 (for good reason), but being light on the skinny pedal might give you miles of trouble free use. Every now and then you get a good one and it lasts longer than it's supposed to.

I've always marked my carrier and just pull the whole thing out so I can work on it on the workbench rather than under the Jeep, but that is personal preference.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 05:10:04 AM »
thanks man. i think im gonna have my buddy that races at waterford help me out with it cause hes always messin with his rear diff all the time. and if anyone is going to that jeep run for a donation on the 21st up in pachaug state forest and nepaug hope you have fun. i really wanted to go but its on opening day of fishing season--cant put that off HA..... and i will post when i get my lunchbox in lol