Author Topic: primer  (Read 3322 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
primer
« on: January 04, 2012, 11:22:23 PM »
Ive got ten gallons of the rust-oleum7400 system zinc chromate primer $10 bucks a gallon or trade. Its a redish color http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/7400&#3...10_1022990.pdf

would it be something i should prime the jeep with?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: primer
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 12:51:26 AM »
Your link doesn't work, at least for me.  I've used the red zinc based primer on frames and such in the past, but I'm not sure if it will work on a body.  I imagine it would if you thin it enough to run in a sprayer.  You'll have a lot of sanding after though, but you'll have that with any body paint job you'd do (depending on how much you care about the final results).  $10 a gallon is a good deal.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 01:00:42 AM »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 01:47:43 AM »
no this kind. but i haven't gotten it yet was wondering if i could use it or not. was thinking maybe on the frame, replacement axles, underbody, idk lol he has 10 gallons of it so if i could do the whole dam jeep i would

http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/7400%20System_RO-10_1022990.pdf
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:49:28 AM by reptile610 »
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:50:01 AM »
but is it as great as he's making it out to be?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 02:29:18 AM »
The zinc based enamel primers are good stuff.  You might get better in an 2 part epoxy primer, but seriously for $10 a gallon I would use it on the stuff your talking about in a heart beat.  Just make sure you top coat it with a paint.  If you leave it just primer it will bubble and powder off fairly quick when exposed to the elements.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 02:46:10 AM »
whacha think? 2 gallons?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 04:03:37 AM »
I painted the entire underbody of my TJ, frame, axles, and underbody with a gallon.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 12:08:12 AM »
so 2 then  ;) i wanna do the inside and outside of the tub.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2012, 01:30:14 AM »
no this kind. but i haven't gotten it yet was wondering if i could use it or not. was thinking maybe on the frame, replacement axles, underbody, idk lol he has 10 gallons of it so if i could do the whole dam jeep i would

http://www.rustoleum.com/tds/7400%20System_RO-10_1022990.pdf

When I click on your link it comes up with, 7400 SYSTEM DTM 450 VOC ALKYD ENAMEL, if this is the right link be careful, this is finish coat not a primer.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 01:14:11 AM »
i thought it was a primer ??? oh well. shortly after do i remember i dont have a big bad air compressor to power a spray gun. probably just gonna rattle can primer and paint it.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 04:56:54 PM »
Just about everyone now makes a rust converter spray that chemically bonds with light rust. it's a cheap alternate to the POR-51's out there (and yes you get what you pay for) use that first then prime over it. I've used it with good results.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 10:56:21 PM »
i used rustoleum's rust reformer on the underbody so far then i used their underbody rubberized undercoating over that. i personally think it looks good but i guess we'll see how well it works after i get it running
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 12:04:01 AM »
i used rustoleum's rust reformer on the underbody so far then i used their underbody rubberized undercoating over that. i personally think it looks good but i guess we'll see how well it works after i get it running
It will take about 5yrs of New England winter driving to see how well it works.  It will probably be ok but only time will tell.  The calcium they are using on the roads today is worse than the salt used before.  I assume this is not going to be your daily driver so if you wash the under carrage of all the debris then this CJ should last you for many yrs.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »
It will take about 5yrs of New England winter driving to see how well it works.  It will probably be ok but only time will tell.  The calcium they are using on the roads today is worse than the salt used before.  I assume this is not going to be your daily driver so if you wash the under carrage of all the debris then this CJ should last you for many yrs.
i live in michigan so only time will tell. im going to try and fix the body but if i get to overhelmed with it i will replace it. they make fiberglass ones(abit over 1k), aluminum ones(abit over 2k), and steel ones (abit over 3k). not sure which one i'd like but aluminum is best bang for the buck i'd think.
1982 CJ7-stock