Author Topic: gear identification  (Read 1736 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
gear identification
« on: December 23, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
was told when i bought the cj that it had a dana 30 up front and amc 20 rear both are locked but wasn't sure on the gears.

front diff

rear diff

no idea about the front but it looks like the rear is welded.

so.... what do i have here ???
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 05:53:26 PM by reptile610 »
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: gear identification
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 10:00:07 PM »
looks like its open up front to me sir
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:19:04 PM »
You have 3.73's.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:20:36 PM by Bill3753 »
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 01:19:11 AM »
cleaned them out with a rag and then put them back together. filled up the front and most of the rear but noticed it was seeing slightly so i stopped and am going to check it tomorrow after the rtv sealer has finished hardening
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 02:35:07 AM »
front is open!
Bill, as usual is correct. the 41 11 stamped in the ring gear tells you that the ring has 41 teeth and the pinion has 11, 41/11=3.72272727....
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:39:41 AM by Mr Rock »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 02:42:12 AM »
Look at this on my phone earlier and didn't feel like typing much on there.  Anyways, like I said earlier definatly 3.73's.  As others have mentioned, definatly open diff on the front.  As you already mentioned, the rear is welded.  However, those welds don't look the greatest specifically on the upper side of the carrier to spider gear weld.  If it were me I'd run it till it broke that way, but I wouldn't push it hard it you want it to last.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 03:28:03 AM »
Look at this on my phone earlier and didn't feel like typing much on there.  Anyways, like I said earlier definatly 3.73's.  As others have mentioned, definatly open diff on the front.  As you already mentioned, the rear is welded.  However, those welds don't look the greatest specifically on the upper side of the carrier to spider gear weld.  If it were me I'd run it till it broke that way, but I wouldn't push it hard it you want it to last.
Yes, but you are Mr Overkill! the welds will hold up for most wheeling, I would have no problem running 33's on that rearend, but I would think about if you run 35's
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 05:15:08 AM »
i thought you was selling it but just get it road worthy and drive the piss out of and fix it as you break it and if you find cheap front fenders on craigs list buy them cause you will hit a tree
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 03:21:51 PM »
i thought you was selling it but just get it road worthy and drive the piss out of and fix it as you break it and if you find cheap front fenders on craigs list buy them cause you will hit a tree

haven't you learned from me yet that i change my mind about 100000 times.  ;D no longer for sale but being moved up to my old high school and my brother is going to mess with the electrical nightmare up there. it's free labor and i don't have to worry about where to put the jeep until school lets out which hopefully by then i can drive it.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »

haven't you learned from me yet that i change my mind about 100000 times.  ;D no longer for sale but being moved up to my old high school and my brother is going to mess with the electrical nightmare up there. it's free labor and i don't have to worry about where to put the jeep until school lets out which hopefully by then i can drive it.

just bring it to me and i will fix it all but i need 10k for parts
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »

just bring it to me and i will fix it all but i need 10k for parts

Even then it won't be finished! lol

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 04:42:08 AM »
Just Empty Every Pocket
1982 CJ7-stock