Author Topic: lost power steering  (Read 965 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
lost power steering
« on: September 09, 2011, 07:07:01 PM »
So I went up in the rocks w Caden and when I came out I had no power steering.  What could be some causes and what should I be looking for.

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
Re: lost power steering
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:38:53 PM »
Its a pretty straight forward system.. I would check fluid levels and the steering box and hoses for damage...
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 12:37:48 AM »
If you were at extream angles then it is posible you could have airated the p/s fluid. The fluid will be foamy looking & the p/s pump will be noisy. If you shut off engine & let it sit for atleast a 1/2 Hr(sometimes the longer it sits the better) the bubbles should work out of the p/s fluid. Then make shure the fluid is topped off & restart engine to see if you have p/s again. If not then there could be posible internal damage to p/s pump or steering box. If fluid keeps getting airrated then look for loose conection on the return side of the system(low pressure or suction side). This type of leak will not leak fluid wile running but instead will suck in air to airrate fluid. If its a large leak then it can sometimes drip fluid when engine if off & has been sitting for several Hrs.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:52:15 PM »
air bound. youd know if the pump let go, pop hood, take of PS cap, turn vehicle on, bleed system, just start turning the wheel, evenutally air will come out. if not then idk lol

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 03:29:28 PM »
so I was at extreme angle, I'm guessing was the culprit.  After a couple days of driving on bumpy roads I got PS back, yea!!!!!  Thanks for the replies.