Author Topic: would older d44's be good upgrade?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
would older d44's be good upgrade?
« on: July 27, 2011, 05:37:31 AM »
i found someone that emailed me about somethin on craigslist. he said hes got d44 front and back axles and was wondering if this would be a strong upgrade to do on the zj??? instead of the d30 and c8.8. let me know what ya think. thanks
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: would older d44's be good upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:17:54 AM »
It really depends on what they are out of.

The 8.8 rear and a Dana 44 are really about a toss up, so I'd say its a draw there.

The front, like I said, it depends...

Some are too narrow to really be effectly used in your ZJ.  Others, are too wide.  To some extent spacers can be used to correct this (for narrow axles, not the wide truck ones).

Some have weak factory knuckles, but they can be converted.

Some have small axle tubes and I'd really stay away from those.  Being you say their older, you should be fine here.

All this being said, the 44 front will have definate advantages over a 30.

Basically, let me know what they are out of and I'll hook you up with the 411.  If you don't mind me asking, how much is he looking at for them?  That makes a difference too.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 08:54:36 AM »
the only real upgrades for the over the d44 has over the 30 is shaft spline count ring gear size and manual hubs you will have to get new wheels if you want to run these
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »
The real question is how big of a tire are you planning to go to. In the front I have a YJ HP D30, aussie locked, stock TJ axles with upgraded u-joints (the "alloy X" ones). An all stock 8.8 with a lockright in the rear, running 35's and I do not baby it one bit, but it is on a YJ so my rig is a bit lighter than a ZJ. To be honest I'm not sure how much bigger a tire I would go on the D30. Nate runs 36's on his LP D30 and he blew a rink gear if I remember correctlly.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
It's hp30 and I ate the spiders gears once and broke an axle shaft once. But I push it pretty hard and the 36 are a very sticky tire.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:39:05 PM »
What are they coming out of? Make sure they are not 44a's, which would mean aluminium, don't want those...
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:46:47 PM »
everyone i talk to says not to run anything bigger than a 35" tire on a dana 30. my LJ had 35's on my dana 30 front and dana 44 rear and i never had any problem other than they needed to be regeared badly, though i know a buddy who is running 37's on his dana 30 in his JK but he also hasn't regeared.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 04:35:28 PM »
everyone i talk to says not to run anything bigger than a 35" tire on a dana 30. my LJ had 35's on my dana 30 front and dana 44 rear and i never had any problem other than they needed to be regeared badly, though i know a buddy who is running 37's on his dana 30 in his JK but he also hasn't regeared.
Your buddy's JK must be extreamly under powered cuz my stock JK Rubi W/4.10s & stock 32in rubber is gutless as is right now. Also that D30 W/37 on the heavy JK will not last long if he wheels it hard. The front axel will start smiling at him soon. Meaning the axel tubes will start bending. The JKs are much heaver than the CJ's,YJ's & TJ's. My 4DR Rubi is 5700lbs before adding all the skids & bumper.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
Wow, is it really that heavy? that's more than #2000 heavier that my YJ
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!