Author Topic: Back on the road  (Read 1640 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Back on the road
« on: May 19, 2011, 02:30:53 PM »
BC I didnt want to hyjack Chucks locker post. 
Well, with the thanks to Will and his laser guided dremmil grinding percision my rig is back on the road.  Not trail worthy yet but I am enjoying driving it. 
Here's what I did;
installed rubicon axles w locker and 4.10 gears (stock)
Cut the rust from my framrails and welded in safetycaps on both sides

Heres what I need to complete
get u joints for front drive shaft, then install
wire up locker pumps and plumb air lines
Fix DW, was @ 45-50 now has migrated to 75-80ish
Then it will be trail worthy

and for fun I'd like to finally install my oba thats been sitting for a year.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Back on the road
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
Congrats on getting the rig on the road Steve.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 01:02:52 AM »
sounds like its gonna be a nice upgrade when its all said and done
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 01:37:09 AM »
what kind of oba are u gonna run?
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 02:54:02 AM »
So let me get this straight. Your getting DW at 75 to 80ish. HOLLY CRAP!!  Hope you got some extra underwear in your glove box because getting DW at those speeds would make me crap my self ;D

At those speeds it could just be an alignment thing but then there could be something loose. Most of the time when you bring it in for an alignment the Teck (If he knows what the hell he's doing) will notice something loose because it is very hard if imposible to get the alignment into specks. I feel most alignment shops will try to find something loose so they can sell you something.  Just ask them to show you the loose part before buying there story. Don't just trust anyone!!
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 03:29:05 AM »
So I got a puma compressor that I'll mount in the back, tthe tank will go under and I'll run lines.
So get this, on my home tonight and drivers front tire is wobbling. I get it home and pull off the tire, 2 of my wheel studs were snapped in half. So, was DW a result or a cause. And yes a DW at 75 deffinetly makes you pucker.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 04:22:26 AM »
unless ur other lugs nut are slightly backed off i would say they are a result. Does the DW start everytime u hit 75-80 or do u also have to hit some sort of pot hole or bump?
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 08:01:52 PM »
So get this, on my home tonight and drivers front tire is wobbling. I get it home and pull off the tire, 2 of my wheel studs were snapped in half.

Loose lug nuts will definently cause both DW and the breaking if the studs! This will happen with any size tire but with the big tires we run all the more reason to double check that the first couple of lug nuts are centered in the wheel holes. I know with my steel wheels that I can not tighten the first lug to much before I set the next two this way I make sure they are centered before tightening them all the way!

My sister got new tire installed at Town Fair Tire and a couple of days later on her way home she got DW and by the time I got to her she had ruined the Alum. wheel, four of six studs had snapped and the tire was also NG! I always double check the lugs after anyone works on my vechicle's, I even double check myself.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:08:05 PM by Mr Rock »
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
Thats some good tech there rock.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 01:20:28 AM »
I have noticed over the years that many alum rims will build up corroasion around the centering ring & if you don't clean this off & reinstall your wheels (even after properly torking them) there is a good chance they will loosen up. I have seen this many times. Sometimes the corroasion is so bad I needed a chissel to brake it loose. Never Seize Grease is your best friend so ALWAYS put a "LIGHT" coat on the inside of the rim that contacts the rotor & especially on the centering ring of the Rim. Just remember to clean the Rotor & Rim contacting serface off really good with a small wire brush prior to greasing it. I no this might sound exsisive but it's a good idea to recheck tork of the lug nuts the next morning after driving it. Brakes get extreamly HOT. Alum & Steel expand & contract differently. I have noticed a few times of getting a slight turn before the click of the tork wrench.  If not rechecked this could leed to brake pulsation from warped rotors. Also it's a good idea to tork the lug nuts with the waight of the vehical off the rim because this helps centering of the Rim to the Hub. As I said before I am VERY picky especially when it comes to my own vehicals ;D.

At Town Fair Tire or any other Discount tire store they will hire almost any Jack Wagon & pay them min wage to mount & balance tires so it is a must (as ROCK said) to retork your lug nuts!!!  As I said before "NEVER TRUST ANYONE" unless you no him very well & no he does good work.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 01:31:56 AM by skibum »
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts