Author Topic: another tire question  (Read 2005 times)

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
another tire question
« on: April 24, 2011, 04:38:27 AM »
i found these

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92606_203_07.htm

but want these

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92610_1XX_PG.htm

is the price worth buying the at's or do i wait another month to buy the irocks
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: another tire question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 05:14:40 AM »
I love my iroks I would recommend then to anyone
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
you just cant beat bias plys for off road traction!  ...bad side to this, they are directional if im not mistaken.
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 03:54:53 PM »
Irok bias ply are not directional however the radials are. But thanks for playing.

Ps. How is directional a bad thing pls explain.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:58:50 PM by Flex »
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:31:19 AM »
The question to ask is, how much road time is your rig gonna see.  Bias ply will work for on road travel, but does not play well with others.  Save your money for a little longer, and get the IROKS. Or, save a little longer than that and get some Pitbull Rockers. I have never ran them myself, but anyone i have ever seen or heard from, said they would never run anything else but those.  Downside, they apparently have a "break-in" period, but afterwords, They.Stick.To.Everything.  Just my 2 pesos.    ;)
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 05:05:58 PM »
Irok bias ply are not directional however the radials are. But thanks for playing.

Ps. How is directional a bad thing pls explain.

Your spare(assuming you carry one) can only be mounted one way. If its mounted to go on the drivers side and you get a flat on the other you have to run it backwards which they aren't designed to do. That'd be my concern..
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline CnoteTJ

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »
thanks for covering my answer gary!  ;)
2011 Black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4" FT Long Arm w/ CRC link and 35" MTR/K's
Some armor and performance goodies!

www.northridge4x4.com    www.offroadevolution.com   www.full-traction.com

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 01:14:03 AM »
A directional tire is designed to perform better in one direction but I don't feel that it will cause an issue if it is for a tempoarry application even if you needed to drive several hrs on the road. Some directional tires if run in the wrong direction constantly could cause some bad wear patterns but would not worry about it as using it for a spare.

As to bais ply tires they perform great off road but highly recomend not using them for daily driving. If you feel the need to run bias ply tires then do as what "Rocket" does & bring them up in a trailor & bolt them on for the trail ride then swap back your street radials for the ride home. Seams to work good for him. Other wise there are many other good options available in tire choices for none directional radial tires.

I persanally prefer a none directional tire because when you get stuck in a muddy situation than you can rely on good traction in reverse if it is the only option. A directional tire mounted in the wrong direction I feel will tend to draw the mud under the tire & loose traction compaired to a none directional mud tire that is desinged to push the mud out in either direction. I do agree that a directional tire will perform better in it's propper direction but will have to side with a none directional tire. That is just my persnal preferance.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 04:01:30 AM »
Thanks Skibum for the props!  I would not run bias on a daily driver; just driving 30 min from parking to trail head is rough, and forget about at full pressure (i never do it above 15# on the hard-ball).  You will either wear them down super fast (low pressure) or vibrate all your bolts loose (full pressure) daily driving.  Plus they are softer (sticky) and just wear faster on the road.  Too expensive to run on a daily driver. 

An old set of rims is pretty cheap, so is a trailer like mine (<$200 w/o deck/rails at Harbor Frieght)
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
thanks for covering my answer gary!  ;)

Here for you, buddy!  ::)
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!