Author Topic: axles  (Read 1403 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
axles
« on: April 07, 2011, 10:25:23 PM »
could these fit in a LJ and not look stupid?

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=203103
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: axles
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:42:40 PM »
Don't you live in Detroit now? If so your first up-grade should be Lo Jack...

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:33:41 PM »
Don't you live in Detroit now? If so your first up-grade should be Lo Jack...

this is very true. im getting ready to drive my jeep from california to detroit this weekend. i thankfully have a driveway to park in and the hardtop and doors along with not having anything valuable in the jeep should hopefully keep people away
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:22:53 AM »
you need a hidden kill switch somewhere in your rig.  it many not keep them from steeling removable parts, but atleast they wont be able to hot wire and drive off you rig.  Also, OffRoadOnly.com sells a magnetic relay cutout that opens the circuit after everytime the engine is shut off.  They sell it through Quadratec.com in the electronics section.

And yes, full width axles would look kinda goofy unless you were runnin 3d9's or bigger with some massive fender choppin.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 12:34:14 AM »
could these fit in a LJ and not look stupid?

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=203103

Can they fit... depends on how much work you want to do.  Chevy Dana 60's are passenger side drop while LJ's come factory passenger side drop.  That being said, I've seen a build thread where a guy used a Chevy Dana 60 anyways and put a Dana 300 in it without flipping it.  Even then though, the guy that did it recommended that no one try it because of all the hidden problems he ran into with the swap.

You'd be better off finding a high pinion king pin Dana 60, passenger side drop from a Ford.  The best to look for is a 78-79 HP60 from some F-250's and all F-350's that were 4x4.  That axle has a longer driver side axle tube that gives you the room you need to weld spring pads to the axle.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:38:25 AM »
what i'd like is some LJ or TJ rubicon 44's with the Elockers in them but the few i've seen are way over prices.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 03:51:38 AM »
LJ & TJ"s are air lockers. Only the JK's are E lockers. Only plus side is the LJ & TJ's have limmited slip in the rear wile open. No clutches. Uses worm gears like a Detriot True Track.

Onle isue is Chrysler stopped using this set up because it was week.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 04:09:49 AM »
didn't know they were air lockers. thats what i'd like to get but it's hard to justify that much more $$ ontop of the fact i already have to upgrade the steering and gears.
1982 CJ7-stock