Author Topic: Skid plates  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
Skid plates
« on: March 17, 2011, 03:47:26 PM »
wondering if anyone has good measurements for skid plates (oil pan, engine ect) so I can make them myself and save some money I can figure it out but if anyone already has them it would be great

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
Re: Skid plates
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 06:35:25 AM »
Do yourself a favor. First, decide what kind of skids your going to go with.  If your thinking a belly up Flat (or mostly Flat) style skid, first things first. 1" motor mount lift!!! And while your at it, spring for the 1" body lift as well. Both of these will  provide the clearance you are gonna need to slap some skids on the bottom of your frame. Once you have that done, go to wal-mart and get some poster board, scissors, tape, a sharpie, and a tape measure. Measure, tape, cut, draw.... you get the idea.  Label them as you go and keep them until you get the metal your going to use.  Use them as templates for what you cut on the metal. My suggestion, go 1/16" thicker than what everyone suggests so that you can counter sink the mounting holes to reduce the risk of shearing of a bolt head when you  drag a rock.  But i'd save your money and get that thing up higher off the ground and get some bigger meats on those studs.   
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 05:14:56 PM »
i think for a you should run 1/8" steel and then use 1"x1" square stock to brace it. then use dimple dies to give it lots of strength this keeps it light, and will be stronger than throwing a massive piece of metal under ur rig, but i would agree that counter sinking your bolts it a good idea.

Now ur thinking 1/8 that seems thin well with it your going the dimple die route thats the thickest you can go. You can't dimple die metal any thicker than 1/8.

Now ur thinking dimple dies are expensive, so build your skid and mark where you want your holes then bring a case of beer over and ill make them dimply for you.

2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 06:10:49 PM »
I like Nate's thinking, something like this.

I built my Flat skid out of 1/4" plate and it is heavy, making it a Bi*@# to remove! something like this.

'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:06:12 AM »
i said screw building my own and bought this

http://undercoverfab.com/transfer-case-skid-plates/68-hd-transfer-case-skid-plate-jeep-wrangler-yj-extra-clearance-carbon.html

the shop was 45 minutes from where i was stationed in florida it is a beast of a skid bolted right in and i don't think i will turn it into a pretze llike my stock one was it is a heavy bastard but i like it and there is a 10% dicsount for jeep forum shiping will be expensive he quoted me $90 to get it to me
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
i think for a you should run 1/8" steel and then use 1"x1" square stock to brace it. then use dimple dies to give it lots of strength this keeps it light, and will be stronger than throwing a massive piece of metal under ur rig, but i would agree that counter sinking your bolts it a good idea.

Now ur thinking 1/8 that seems thin well with it your going the dimple die route thats the thickest you can go. You can't dimple die metal any thicker than 1/8.

Now ur thinking dimple dies are expensive, so build your skid and mark where you want your holes then bring a case of beer over and ill make them dimply for you.

What's your beer? So I know when the time comes

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 03:02:22 PM »
been looking around and based on steele prices and with the 1" motor mount and body lifts id be paying around the same price as one skid to cover the whole  bottom of my jeep

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:06:02 AM »
Shop around, some companies sell a belly up "kit" that sometimes comes with the motor mount/body mount lift equipment.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 12:11:48 AM »
Thx ill take a look