Author Topic: March 13, 2011 Trail Report  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
March 13, 2011 Trail Report
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:34:28 AM »
March 13, 2011

Today was just about the perfect day for some nice wheeling.  Due to all of the rain recently, WillC choose us an awesome little trail that we could enjoy without worrying about it turning into a winch fest.  As it turns out, the scenery was unbelievable.  This combined with the wet conditions and great group we had out today and it was a great time.

Obviously, trail conditions were wet.  It actually wasn’t as bad as we expected, but it still was muddy in some areas.  Nevertheless, 4WD ended up being optional for a good portion of the trail which always makes for smiling faces.  Trails in 2WD are fun.  You drive differently and your rig responds differently.  Throw in a little mud and scatter in some slippery rocks ....it’s a recipe for a good time.  We did experience some clouds and a very small amount of sprinkles on the way there, but that quickly gave way to sunny skies and a great 45 to 50 degree day.  You really could not have asked for much better for a day in early March.

Club members in attendance were moosin, skibum, B52BUFF, Bill3753 (myself as a passenger only) and WillC as the Trail Boss.  Our distinguished guest for the day was t0sd0gg.

The trail started with a mostly gravel basin covered in some mud leading us by a lake bed and eventually to our first "photo op".

moosin:

Yes … moosin we should have aired down those tires.  We all decided not to.  You can see in the last picture the zero give the tires have when you don’t air down.  Lesson learned: Always air down.  It certainly doesn’t hurt.

skibum:
I just wanted to point out that this picture below belongs on Jeep’s homepage.  It’s exactly the kind of picture I’d expect to see on a Jeep advertisement.  I thought it came out great.

B52BUFF:

and our guest t0sd0gg:

From here, the trail continued on till we found some more mud combined with a rock in the perfect location to get our “Stock Guy” aka “Stuck Guy” B52BUFF, well, stuck.

Is his defense though, I missed a shot just before this that was probably the best action of the day.  He got his TJ up super high and off camber on the driver’s side climbing up a rock ledge to the left of the trail.  It looked awesome and I’m disappointed I didn’t get the shot.

Anyways, being he was stuck in just about the perfect little mud hole, WillC “accidently” pulled him out in 2WD.  Opps.

The trail continued on until we found ourselves at the end.  Here we decided to break for a short snack/lunch before we took off to tackle it in the opposite direct back to the trail head where we entered.  

The following pictures are a result of B52BUFF being egged on by WillC specifically trying to get him stuck.  Basically, after breaking for lunch it was decided B52BUFF would follow WillC’s line; no matter where it may be.

His TJ did great though and made for some fun pictures:

This little friendly competition seemed to spark everyone’s adventurous side leading to more obstacles on the trail being attempted. (Sorry the one of t0sd0gg is slightly out of focus.)

As to be expected, it did cause a small error though.  t0sd0gg unexpectedly slid off a log (do you ever expect to slide off anything on the trail?).  It was very minor though and in less than a minute his was back on track.

From here, we slowly continued to make our way back to the trail head.  Finding more and more rocks and logs to have fun with along the way.

Then, out of nowhere really, we hear B52BUFF on the CB.  â€œHey guys, I think I’m dragging something.  Hold up a second.”  This was shortly followed by “Ummm, my tire is pointing in the wrong direction.  I think I broke an axle”.  WillC and I were all but certain his Dana 35 rear gave loose.  

Fortunately, that was not the case.  B52BUFF quickly discovered that he was in fact dragging something, just not like he thought he was.  If anyone has ever seen a rock get stuck in a rig like this; speak up.  It was a heck of a sight.

With the assistance of a High Lift jack and a tire iron, the rock was removed.  Right at the spot the rock was found, it was placed to permanently mark the location for future trips on the trail.

From there, the tire was back on and we continued on:

We reached the end of the trail and our day was done.  

Like I said earlier, it was a great time.  I thought it really showed what stock suspension type TJ’s and JK’s are capable of.  Both BF52BUFF and skibum run with a stock suspension system.  Yes, skibum is running a JK Rubicon which comes fully locked factory, but it still was awesome to see him flexing it out on the stock BFG’s.

Our esteemed guest t0sd0gg did absolutely perfect on his first trail with the club.  He was a welcome addition and I highly look forward to wheeling with him again in the future once my build is complete.

Disclaimer To JT4X4 Non-Club members:  This IS NOT a ticket telling you to wheel your stock Mall Crawler Jeep or Truck.  You will almost certainly get yourself in trouble, break something, or worse.  Both BF52BUFF and skibum are experienced drivers running rigs with very good skid protection.  Additionally, they both wheel smart with equipment you need to wheel for a day and still make it home.  Long story short, they know what they’re doing and have the recovery equipment and assistance from other rigs to stay out of trouble.

Now that’s out of the way, I’m going to leave all other comments to everyone else.  I hope you enjoyed my first edition trail report.  I’ll work on making them better in the future.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:42:01 AM by Bill3753 »
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Gr33NGoph3R

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
Re: March 13, 2011 Trail Report
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:56:14 AM »
actually saw you guys leaving the walmart parking lot wish id got there a little earlier would have at least come over to say Hi great Pics

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 05:30:34 AM »
Hey Bill, great job on the trail report, it was a nice day. Now get back to work on your Jeep.

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 06:14:08 AM »
AHHHHH I SHOULD HAVE CAME.... i hate working till 230 am and not gettin up

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 07:33:52 AM »
Was so ticked off that I missed this. Looks like it was a good time. I have a gas tank skid and new 4.5 inch full leafs on the way so I should be prepared for next time as long as my alarm goes off. Bill excellent trail report, I hope you continue to these!
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
Damn that looked like a good time. Wish i could have gone rompin with yall. Dont worry B52Buff, due to my bald as hell 33in. bridgestone duelers, I too held the title as stuck guy quite often.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 01:45:00 AM »
Thanks for the great pics & captions Bill.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 05:57:27 AM »
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.  If there is anything you'd like to see for future editions, let me know.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 05:59:23 AM »
Thanks everyone for the positive comments.  If there is anything you'd like to see for future editions, let me know.

yeah pictures of my rig! :)
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:58:49 AM »

you got to show up for that to happen
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:09:54 AM »

excactly Adam
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »

here you go duece some pics of your jeep just to make you happy

well i could not find any of your jeep on photobucket but i did find one of you sleeping at the auto hobby shop i got more on my laptop so i guess i need to boot that up

if you all want i can delete this just pm me
excactly Adam
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 09:24:13 AM »

well i could not find any of your jeep on photobucket but i did find one of you sleeping at the auto hobby shop i got more on my laptop so i guess i need to boot that up

excactly Adam

Now thats a devoted jeeper! That was the longest axle swap ever. And we almost got in trouble for being in there so late, or was it early? Nonetheless good memories!
W.O.J.

Offline t0sd0gg

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 08:38:05 PM »
nice shots bill. it was alot of fun. next time i wont be such a pansy. thanks for having us guys. cant wait for the next one.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 06:26:45 AM »

excactly Adam

Now thats a devoted jeeper! That was the longest axle swap ever. And we almost got in trouble for being in there so late, or was it early? Nonetheless good memories!

no that was one of many nights i about got in trouble for keeping the hobby shop open 24hrs