Author Topic: questions question questions  (Read 6557 times)

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: questions question questions
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »
If you think you'd want it later, then get it the first time (at least for the internal parts of the axles).  I'd do the Super 88 kit as the axles it comes with lets you set your wheel bolt pattern to either 4.5x5 or 5.5x5.  If you go with a HP44 Front, it will be 5.5x5.  This way you can run it at 4.5x5 now while you wheel your 30 front and will be set for later when you swap in the HP44.  I'd also get whatever locker and gearing you want from the start.  You can always cut off and replace brackets without much trouble, but it becomes much more costly to rework internal parts of your axle.  On a different note, Ed runs Superior chromoly axles in his 8.8 with a Clayton 4 link and 33's on his TJ.

With that in mind, if you can afford it I'd go straight to the Clayton 5" Stretch but run it with stock type coil springs vice coil overs.  Coil overs are awsome, but I don't feel the gains are worth the cost.  Run it with coils, notch your frame to move the upper spring bucket back, and call it good.  You might need a limiting strap on it, but you'll still perform great.  Problem is the stretch is expensive.  The core suspension kit isn't too bad, but when you add in the fuel cell and different corners you need to do it right the price gets up there quick.

You might consider a 4 link rear without a stretch.  This will keep your cost a little lower.  Later on you could sell the arms and swap them for longer ones to do the stretch.  Might be the way to go.  Heck, you might get it on there with the 4 link and not even worry about the stretch after that.
04 TJ, HP60, 14 Bolt, 5.13's, linked, locked, on 38's and (still) in the works.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »
The whole reason i was looking into the coilovers was ride comfort. Even while trying to build a super whamodine rig, i'm also using this thing as a daily driver. i figured that the added performance of a long travel set of C/O's would drastically improve highway ride without sacrificing any off road performance.  Are they really that cost ineffective?  As far as the super 88 kit goes, i am definitely working torwards that for my next major purchase. I do like the versatility of the kit and the strength that it offers.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 06:28:27 AM »
I think you'll get better gas mileage with the 4.10 gears with 33s than your stock gears. It brings you closer to the factory specs with the tire size ratio to the gear ratio. I went with 4.56 gears and am running 33s, which causes higher RPMs on the highway, but when I go to 35s I expect my gas mileage to improve slightly.

when i pcs'ed to florida driving my jeep i averaged 15-17 mpg with 33's and 4.10's

the posi wasnt actually the selling point. when the time is right, and the money is there, i'm actually going to stuff some flavor of selectable locker in it. Pricewise, i'm leaning towards the OX locker, but on the other hand, the general public definitely  sings praises about the ARB air locker. dont know if i wanna drop damn near $1000 bucks on it. The base fact is i now have an 8.8 for my rig, which means i can now comfortably roll 35's or 36's.  any one have any thoughts on those all in one brackets a previously posted up?  ???

the ox lockers have an aluminum diff cover for the 8.8

The whole reason i was looking into the coilovers was ride comfort. Even while trying to build a super whamodine rig, i'm also using this thing as a daily driver. i figured that the added performance of a long travel set of C/O's would drastically improve highway ride without sacrificing any off road performance.  Are they really that cost ineffective?  As far as the super 88 kit goes, i am definitely working torwards that for my next major purchase. I do like the versatility of the kit and the strength that it offers.

when i was in florida i helped a guy fully link stretch and build his tj up to run 42's and it took us 15 different spring set ups to get this thing setting level and not to tall i will never run coil overs cause of that i will run ori struts

i will not tell you how to build your rig cause i am still fixing mine i am pleased with how it preforms but i know it can be better a lot better especaly the front end it will be 3 linked and stretched more

i decided to not drop any more money on my d44's other than a set of gears for the front i am now looking for a hp60 i can cut down to 63" and i am going to 4d's to hell with any thing else that is what i wanted when i looked into lifting my heep big so i am going for it and right now i have the room for them (and i got a used set of  40's sitting in the garage)  just need the axles to match and a tow pig
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 12:50:50 AM »
Swagger, you wheeled with me a few times when I had Bigyeller.  Those were 37's and I never had a single issue.  I ran the D30 front with Alloy USA shafts, locked, and an 8.8 with a Superior Axle kit, also locked.  I had more problems with my Tom Woods drive shaft than anything else.  I ended up putting in a Carolina Driveline shaft for $150 and never looked back.  In the end I probably spent less money building those axles the way I wanted them instead of finding a set of 1 tons and modifying them, etc...   I ran those axles stock with 3.73's with the 35's with no issues.  I didn't upgrade them until I went to 37's.  Just some food for thought.  Go the route you want to go and what your pocketbook can handle!  Good luck!  ;)  Justin

Edit: I also didn't really drive her like I stole her, either.  I typically let the tires, suspension, and gears do all the work and only gave a lunge or heavy throttle when necessary.  If you are more of a "Romp and Stomp" kind of dude, then just go ahead buy you some 1 tons....  ::)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:57:45 AM by Axle »
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 02:56:22 AM »
romp and stomp is super fun ;D
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 03:44:11 AM »

I recently did plugs and O2 Sensors on my TJ.  I'm exaggerating when I say easily double the power it had before.  That supercharger kicks in quick and glues you to the seat.

Neadless to say... +1 on it being fun.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 03:47:06 AM »

I recently did plugs and O2 Sensors on my TJ.  I'm exaggerating when I say easily double the power it had before.  That supercharger kicks in quick and glues you to the seat.

Neadless to say... +1 on it being fun.
So im guessing you found that hesitation issue???
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Bill3753

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 05:47:39 AM »
No to steal from the core meaning of this thread, but yes.  After I did the work I drove to Philly and back with zero issues.  Its running great!

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:14 PM »
Ah hem, as i take back possession of my thread...

Justin how the hell are ya man, thought you fell off the earth or something.  Anyways. I couldnt remember if you were wheeilin a 30 or a 44, but now i know. If you could handle 37's on a d30, i'm sure i could. But you've seen me wheel, i'm not so tender footed. Plus, down here, as it is in Georgia, its more mud than anything. And anyone whos anyone knows that mudding is a high RPM event. Thats where my fear of grenading the front diff comes from.

On a different note, i think i settled on a wheel and tire combo finally.  H1 beadlocks, and military surplus 37's.  Trailworthyfab.com makes a couple of really nice sets for extremely fair prices.  Alot cheaper than spyderlocks and pitbull rockers.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 02:25:20 AM by Swagger »
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 09:08:19 PM »
Alright, i'm clueless as to where to find one of these. ??? I need a yoke for my Ford 8.8.  Anyone know where i can find some high strenght models? dont need it right away, but will in the near future.

Additionaly, i'm trying to figuer out how to mate the parking brake linkage on the 8.8 to my stock TJ linkage. Axle, you could probably gimme some insight on this.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 02:57:04 AM »
http://jt4x4.com/smf/index.php?topic=186.0

Here you go, Kyle.  This should be everything you need for the most part.  It will at least give you an idea of how I did everything and the costs.  You'll have to sort through it all, as it's 15 pages.  Justin
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Ok, call me stupid or whatever, but, what are "king Pin's"? I know it is for the linkage of the steering knuckles to the inner C's of D60's. Are they just a different type or alternative to ball joints?

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 11:51:37 PM »
yes they do the same thing as ball joints just put together differently and much stronger.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 12:20:38 AM »
k. thanks. i am now .00000000000082% smarter than i was before i asked that question.   ;D

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 12:38:54 AM »
Ok, call me stupid or whatever, but, what are "king Pin's"? I know it is for the linkage of the steering knuckles to the inner C's of D60's. Are they just a different type or alternative to ball joints?

should have just called you stupid ;D
2005 F-150

-Nate