Author Topic: Header questions  (Read 1404 times)

Offline TommyD

• Trail Queen
Header questions
« on: September 17, 2010, 10:37:17 PM »
I'm semi serious about buying a header but I'm confused. I've got a 2005 Rubi with a 4.0.

Some headers fit 2000-2006 while others fit 2000-2004....why will some fit all years and others not? The only thing that changed was the 6 speed tranny....how can that be an issue?

Anyhow, I don't have a lot of cash and was looking at Rugged Ridge headers at 4WD and JC Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/exhaust-headers/p2011504.jcwx?filterid=d1202y2005j4#prodDetailTabPanel
http://www.jcwhitney.com/performance-headers/p2006361.jcwx?filterid=d1202y2005j4#prodDetailTabPanel

Why is the performance header cheaper than the other? Looking at painted. Both say they are guaranteed to fit 00-04 but are GUARANTEED to fit my 05?

Then there's 4WD....got the same ranges of years BUT the 00-06 looks entirely different than the pics shown on JCW?

Comments...preferences?

???

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: Header questions
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 12:47:46 AM »
Call them and ask. If they want your money, they will help you
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:55:02 PM »
a note on headers: each brand is probably shaped different, and due to the change in the trany, some may have been designed prior to the chagne and don't fit.  If you get painted, know that the paint will burn off and you will have rusty headers shortly after.  IF your engine is broke in (and only IF) get ceramic headers if you care about how they look.  Or just get stainless steel.

Also know that may online retailers use a generic photo for a product, so you can't always go w/ that; i think you didnt' see the "Product shown may differ from actual product appearance." that is on the site under the pic.  JCW has an online chat feature you can use to talk to them, or you can call them.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:54:57 AM »
Every car truck or boat i have ever had or ran headers the bolts always backed out and IMHO they are not worth the hastle
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:07:14 AM »
Every car truck or boat i have ever had or ran headers the bolts always backed out and IMHO they are not worth the hastle
x2

A Cat back is a much better bang for the buck invesment with the 4.0
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline TommyD

• Trail Queen
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »
Call them and ask. If they want your money, they will help you

I just started looking, my time comes in short blocks, I'll call them when I've kinda made up my mind.

a note on headers: each brand is probably shaped different, and due to the change in the trany, some may have been designed prior to the chagne and don't fit.  If you get painted, know that the paint will burn off and you will have rusty headers shortly after.  IF your engine is broke in (and only IF) get ceramic headers if you care about how they look.  Or just get stainless steel.

It's plenty broke....I was thinking stainless. Ceramic is a bit too pricey, I'd rather spend the extra money on something that will get seen...I ride Harley's and like bling :D

A Cat back is a much better bang for the buck invesment with the 4.0

Looking at that also, got it breathing better with the cold air intake so I gotta get it farting better. You don't think the header would make a decent difference? I keep reading about increased torque with the header and figger the exhaust will help out even more.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 09:26:31 PM »
ceramic headers are not just for looking good they will keep the heat inside the header and out of the engine bay also you should use header wrap to keep under hood temps down
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 12:02:42 PM »

locking bolts; I use Stage 8 (brand) of bolts for my headers.  They have locks on them to prevent them from backing out.  Check them out at summitracing.com.  Or you can drill a small hole through the bolt head and use lock-wire (WAY more work and requires special lockwire pliers).
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work