Author Topic: spring wrenching  (Read 3435 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: spring wrenching
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 03:56:37 AM »
this: http://ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_HNT&Category_Code=XDT

just need the yoke the hardware kit and the flange seal, ends up being $179.00
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 03:58:15 AM by BlacXJeep »
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 04:05:13 AM »
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
looks pretty easy i have the tap and die stuff, so if u have the parts lets knock this out next weekend
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
I'm ordering it Thursday, but trust me gonna need your help to remove TC drop and get all the skids back on. Is the MJ still in the garage? The cool thing is we don't have to open up the transfer case. Maybe we can fix that LCA bracket too?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:15:24 PM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 10:22:22 PM »
donor doors and hood installed.

W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 11:47:42 PM »
we should be able to move the mj by then
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2011, 04:23:56 AM »
Ordered the hack n tap kit. I called IRO and talked to Josh, he was very helpful and said that as long as the tail cone on my np242 had three bolts, the kit would work for me with the flange seal. I ordered the flange seal, the drill, tap and hardware and the yoke itself, and it came to $179. Going to use the XJ fronts DS i got from Roger. Josh said a ton of people are running this kit, and or the Rubicon Express Hack n tap with a lot of sucess. IMO the 32 spline output shaft uprade is overated and overpriced. The thought of spending $839 for the tom woods kit, made me sick to my stomach. This seemed the way to go. Hope to have it installed soon, with pictures and a write up to follow. ;D
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2011, 05:45:30 PM »
IMO the 32 spline output shaft uprade is overated and overpriced. The thought of spending $839 for the tom woods kit, made me sick to my stomach. This seemed the way to go.

For that kind of $$$ you could easly find a NP231 with a SYE installed.  I have heard that installing the hack-n-tap by disconecting the drive shafts and running the jeep in low range while applying pressure with a hack saw is the cleanest way to make the cut. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:28 AM »
The iron rock offroad hack n tap is on its way. It will be much easier then swapping in a 231, and I can keep my full time 4wd which I love in the snow. I'm planning on building a YJ or TJ when I get back from my deployment so this is just something to get black betty ready to wheel untill I deploy in july.
W.O.J.

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2011, 03:26:31 PM »
I did a Hack N Tap on my 94 XJ NP231. Drove it for 2Yrs & never had a problen with it. I no it was not the best way to do a SYE but fit my budgit at the time. Hardest part was cutting the tail shaft. It must be cut straight or it will leak.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 05:27:25 AM »
the IRO hack n tap kit came in today, along with a few other odds and ends, (new hood release cable, and cam bolts for the Blue Torch Fab LCA brackets I'm running). Oh and some ugly stickers they sent me too.  The rustys gas tank skid and the Transfer case skid need to be bolted up too. If I can get a day off with this fuel outtage at the plant, maybe I'll have some time to crawl under there and install this stuff. :)
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 10:36:28 AM »
ok so thanks to a couple days of work with help from Nate and Mike, I managed to install my gas tank, and transfer case skids, got the hood open and installed the new hood release cable, hack n tap the transfer case, and install the cam bolts on the lower control arms. With that being said, it didnt take long to find out something else was wrong. Going to have to take a look, but it sounds like the front drive shaft is on its way out. could be the centering ball, or maybe just a u-joint. Pics to come of the work done
W.O.J.