Author Topic: Spider gears  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Spider gears
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:22:47 PM »
So I finally got my jeep in the garage today, to take a look at what was the problem in the front end, well spider gears are toast, I'm think Aussie with a promise to myself to take it easy. Let me know what u think. No one say the words selectable locker. I'm not dropping a grand in something that's gonna blow up eventually. Also anyone with input on driving around with an Aussie up front give me an idea of what to expect.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
Re: Spider gears
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 12:28:57 AM »
selectable locker

i did not have to you did

if your happy with normal spider gears run them they are a 1/3 of the price of an aussie

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=10024&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product

"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 03:48:08 AM »
I have only wheeled with my D30 Aussie once, but here is what I noticed:

1.  The YJ will now climb straight up a wall  ;D
2.  The turning radius is increased.  As I got used to the feel, this was less of an issue, but the first couple turns were a learning experience.
3.  In 2wd I don't even know it is there.
4.  Easy to install, but it does require pulling the carrier, unlike the 8.8.

Are you running Chromo shafts?
With the front locker, you will use less throttle, since the Jeep will climb better.  Less throttle should mean less breakage.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 03:54:16 AM »
Not running chromo shafts however i do carry an extra set. I just ordered the Aussie i really think its the right decision, its gonna take a slight change in driving style but i dont think that will be an issue. Thanks for all the input guys cant wait to see ya out on the trail.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:45:45 PM »
Sweet man glad to hear that's all it was, and that you will be back on the trail soon.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:27 PM »
I have only wheeled with my D30 Aussie once, but here is what I noticed:

1.  The YJ will now climb straight up a wall  ;D
2.  The turning radius is increased.  As I got used to the feel, this was less of an issue, but the first couple turns were a learning experience.
3.  In 2wd I don't even know it is there.
4.  Easy to install, but it does require pulling the carrier, unlike the 8.8.

Are you running Chromo shafts?
With the front locker, you will use less throttle, since the Jeep will climb better.  Less throttle should mean less breakage.

X2 on e verything Kirk said!

With the weak YJ shafts once I installed the Aussie all I did was break shafts with 33's. I have since upgraded to TJ shafts and better ujoints and have not broken them with 35's but just like kirk said I have learned to use less skinny petal!
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:55:49 AM »
I have learned to use less skinny petal!

When I see that ill beleive it!!   LOL

Are you running 37's on the XJ?  If you are then you might really want to take it easy. Even if your using the larger TJ shafts there being pushed far past there limit. Kirk did mention cromo shafts & I feel that they are necessary if 37's are on a D30.

I do understand you don't want to waist a ton of cash on a D30 & I compleatly agree with you. You did metion that you had an extra set of shafts. That is great because if I was in your shoes I would run that sucker till it snaps a u joint or shaft. Then you no how easy you need to take it. Also having an auto locker in the front will take some getting used to but if you had locking hubs then it would make the drive to the next trail that much easer.

Good luck with the endurance test!!!
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:47:11 AM »
So im running 36" iroks so almost 37's.

Also having an auto locker in the front will take some getting used to but if you had locking hubs then it would make the drive to the next trail that much easer.

So ive heard an auto locker in the front when in 2 wheel drive is un noticeable, not to say ur wrong, cause ur normally not but i think my street manners should not change with this set up unless im driving around in 4 wheel on the street.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline skibum

• Paid Members
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 01:03:33 PM »
Im not speaking from experince but have herd that sometimes it will lock if you accelerate through a turn but then this is only true if in 4wd & you would only need 4wd in a snow storm driving on the street. If you coast through a turn in 4wd then you may never notice it. Otherwise I feel running an autolocker like the aussie your driving habbits will not need to change that much.  Also this is not your daily driver so you have nothing to worry about. You have that nice Ford to drive every day.  On the other hand correct me if im wrong but I think you welded the spider gears on the D60 in the front on the comanchee & feel that thing is going to be a bear to turn on the street & even off road when trying to make tight turns. I need to turn my front locker off in order to make tight turns off road because it lust wants to keep going straight. Even with the rear locked it kills my turning radius a little.
09 Rubi 4Dr,Compleat Heavy Duty Polly Performance skid plate system,Kilby Evap Relocation kit,Rampage front bumper,Swaybar motor flip,Clayton 3.5in lift w/steering corection kit,35in GY MTR's on 15in MB Wheels,Ace Enginering Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier,Prorock D44 Front axel,5.13s,cromo rear shafts

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »
Unless you're in 4WD you'll never notice the locker in the front of the XJ. It does make it very interesting on snowy roads though. I prefer to keep mine in 2wd on the road even in heavy snow just so I can turn. In 4wd it is difficult to make a turn in really slippery stuff on the pavement.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 10:55:24 PM »
For the Comanche we can unlock the hubs for the street and have no problem. Thanks for all the input guys.
2005 F-150

-Nate