Author Topic: Anyone ever seen an engine do this?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
Anyone ever seen an engine do this?
« on: June 15, 2010, 04:04:44 AM »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:37:53 AM by zjorvis97 »

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Re: Anyone ever seen an engine do this?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 03:19:42 PM »
The engine is Dieselling.  Somehow the engine is getting fuel and the heat of the engine and the compression is enough to set of the reaction.  I don't know why it does it but I have seen it before.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:27:32 PM »
I used to have an old carbureted Mustang that did that every now and then, but it didn't go as long as yours does. If you google engine dieseling you might find some ideas for what is causing yours.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 08:54:16 PM »
i thought the term was rolling idle, dieseling is when it won't shut off?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:44:26 PM »
I thought the video was of what your engine was doing after you turned the ignition off. I didn't realize that's the way it's currently idling. Could it be something in your timing? I was going to say it's a vacuum leak from the sound in the video, but then I noticed you have the top taken off so that explained the sucking air sound. I've honestly never had a vehicle do that so I wouldn't even know where to start.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 04:56:27 AM »
the timing is jacked all it is doing is burning off the vapors left i have never seen it in a fuel injected motor before though cause the spark gets killed when you shut off the key
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »
The timing is set by the computer and can't be manually adjusted. I have tested, replaced and checked every sensor. I managed to find someone who knows the 5.2 motors well and he said check the grounding straps for the engine and computer. So we will see today brings.

Offline reg

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »
try seafoam.. i know it sounds like a quick fix, but it may help. sounds more like a lack of fuel, not extra fuel. when was the last time you cleaned the fuel system?

dieseling is igniting fuel without spark by using engine compression. To see if the plugs are firing correctly, pull one off, start it and watch to see if it sparks. remember,1. don't hold it with bare wet hands and 2. the plug needs to be grounded to spark. if all the plugs works fine it is a fuel issue. it doesn't seem like timing to me being as computers either work, or don't work. don't let it run too long w/out the plug in though, just enough to get a spark.

hope it helps
-reg
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 11:26:35 PM by reg »

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »
I bought a fuel pressue gauge today and that is my next step. The jeep has 165,000 miles and to my knowledge the filter has not been changed. It has sat for the 3 or 4 months so i am guessing this is an issue. I will post up how things go.

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 03:45:14 AM »
the fuel pressure was normal, 40-45psi. firing order was right.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 10:25:17 AM »
Are all of your plugs and wires good? Maybe a cylinder missfire, or timing issue? I had a cylinder down once on my 1.8 turbo jetta, and it ran awful and sounded like an angry lawnmower.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »
Nope, all the plugs and wires, even ignition coil are brand new. I ordered a lap top based computer diagnosic and tuning tool last night. I guess once i can get in there i will either find it or not. I am hoping the timing chain didn't jump a tooth, which i am not sure how is would since i only ever had it idle and rev to 2500-3000 rpm with no load on it.

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 09:27:13 PM »
Could a bad distributor make an engine run like this?

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 05:35:45 AM »
Nope, all the plugs and wires, even ignition coil are brand new. I ordered a lap top based computer diagnosic and tuning tool last night. I guess once i can get in there i will either find it or not. I am hoping the timing chain didn't jump a tooth, which i am not sure how is would since i only ever had it idle and rev to 2500-3000 rpm with no load on it.

did you replace the cap and rotor  how does it run under load

Could a bad distributor make an engine run like this?

do you have timming marks on the front of the block on the ballencer check the timing

if you can get the computer diagnostic program  to run a live scan you can check the timing that way it should be about 8-14* btc i can't find the info to be for sure though
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 02:32:45 AM »
I've got the obd 2 software that reads in realtime
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work