Author Topic: dreaded death wobble suggestions  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
Re: dreaded death wobble suggestions
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 02:27:58 AM »
Death Wobble is also related to how parallel the track bar and the tie rod are. If you look at a stock Jeep they are pretty close to being parallel. When people lift their rigs, these angles change and contribute to death wobble. Like Kirk said, do a tie rod flip, get your rig professionally aligned, and changing out your bushings should cure it. Adding the steering stabilizer will make control minute wobble that you probably won't be able to feel.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 03:35:39 AM »
Donty you mean the track bar and the drag link? If either of those were paralell to the tie rod I think hed have very serious issues
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 07:38:36 PM »
Donty you mean the track bar and the drag link? If either of those were paralell to the tie rod I think hed have very serious issues

douce why do you gotta be a douche lol i have been wanting to say that for a while sorry... but yea your right there would be a problem but he probably just made a mistake in the typing

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 08:16:33 PM »
Just making sure cuz that is how I have  always understood it.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline zjchef25

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 08:23:39 PM »
oh i figured as much but i just need a real excuse to say that but back on the topic of death wobble, i had that problem with my zj and it was NOT the sway bar or links i mean hell, i drive with my disconnected sometimes, like after a ride, and i can take her up to 65 no problem. i went through and checked all the bushings but one and it was the axel side trac bar bushing being close none existent. in the future my friend just check all of the bushing then if there is still the problem its something alot worse.

p.s. its nice to know im not exactly the only zj here

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 11:07:59 PM »
yeah apparently its not totaly fixed.... i got the shit this morning right over 40 mph then i got it on my way home from fishin doin 30 when i drove over a storm drain.. its really starting to piss me off. the jeep is beating me damnit i cant win. so i ordered a drop pitman arm to lower my steering angle maybe that will help i donno
LOW RIDERS ARE FOR GUYS WHO CANT GET IT UP! oh ya

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 01:35:54 PM »
Normally, the rule on the drop pitman arm is that you don't need it unless you are over 4" of lift or you have installed a drop track bar mount. Same basic principle from what's been stated earlier. The track bar and drag link need to be on the same plane.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2010, 03:23:37 PM »
well im runnin about 5 inches of lift right now... but i dont have a trac bar drop bracket.. i just have rustys trac bar and frame mount... i really need to get this thing figured out.. its already held me from going to the last car show and the last trail ride. i want it fixed so i can go wheelin with all you guys. shes good in the woods just not on the road...

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 03:25:32 PM »
could it also maybe have to do with the 32x11.5-15 super swamper tsl sx bias ply tires i have on it???? they took a really lot of weight to balance and they suck on the road.?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 03:30:39 PM »
could it also maybe have to do with the 32x11.5-15 super swamper tsl sx bias ply tires i have on it???? they took a really lot of weight to balance and they suck on the road.?

I was just reading through your posts to make sure that tire balancing had been addressed and it doesn't look like it has. When I had my Cherokee I had developed some really bad death wobble right after a trail run. Everything in the suspension and steering looked fine so I decided to have my tires rebalanced and found that I had ripped 2 wheel weights off on the inside of the tire so I couldn't even see that they were missing. They rebalanced the tires and deathwobble was gone. Because of what we do we chunk up tires and slice them quite often and balancing may be needed quite often unless you're running balance beads or something like that.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
yeah cause the weights go like almost half way around the rim its rediculous. so i donno i might chuck the tires and get some new different 33's with a radial tread more road friendly like some bfg mt or something

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 04:41:54 PM »
yeah cause the weights go like almost half way around the rim its rediculous. so i donno i might chuck the tires and get some new different 33's with a radial tread more road friendly like some bfg mt or something

That's not a bad idea. Bias ply tires are difficult to balance and they don't run near as smooth as a radial. Your DW could very well be tire related.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »
i really hope so man, im ordering a new set of 33x10.5-15 bfg mt km2's right now there only 168$ each i just hope there a good tire

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 06:03:05 PM »
i really hope so man, im ordering a new set of 33x10.5-15 bfg mt km2's right now there only 168$ each i just hope there a good tire

One of the best....

Offline GreenGrandV8

• Mudd Hog
  • good ol jeep
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
sweet i got them all ordered up