Author Topic: CB experts out there?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline smaug1911

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
CB experts out there?
« on: March 29, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »
I got an SWR meter the other day.

All my channels are in the red zone.
I am guessing that means poor groundplane.

Anyone with some experience want to help troubleshoot this with me?

My first idea is to grind down the area where the antenna mount is so it touches bare metal.
97 V6 Tacoma TRD. 2.5" front coil spacers. 3.5' Downey leaf springs, 2" 4Crawler body Lift, rear Bilstein 5125's, 35" BFG KM2's, Skid row transfer skid, Ocean State Crawlers front winch bumper, custom rear bumper, Kajobuilt sliders, deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Smittybilt XRC8.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: CB experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 03:40:51 PM »
My CB has been operating like that for a long time. I just haven't had a chance to troubleshoot what the problem is, but I know I need to get a more easily tuned antenna.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
Did you try tuning the antenna at all?  If you have a Firestick, pull off the top cover; there is a small screw.  you adjust it in/out to tune the antenna.

Since you are running dual whips, it may be difficult; i think you have to tune each individualy, but not sure.  I could never get my system to work w/ co-phased antennas.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline smaug1911

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 10:48:08 PM »
I disconnected one. It was in the red zone by itself.

And from what i have read, constant redzone is not tunable yet. you have to solve whatever problem is causing that first before you can tune it.
97 V6 Tacoma TRD. 2.5" front coil spacers. 3.5' Downey leaf springs, 2" 4Crawler body Lift, rear Bilstein 5125's, 35" BFG KM2's, Skid row transfer skid, Ocean State Crawlers front winch bumper, custom rear bumper, Kajobuilt sliders, deckplate mod, grey wire mod, Smittybilt XRC8.

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:58:22 PM »
I have been reading up on this as I want to mount a CB and use my handheld as a spare.

You have to ground the CB and the antenna, just grounding the antenna to the tire carrier or the bumper will not be good enough 90% of the time. You have to ground it to the chassie or the negative batterie terminal.