Author Topic: knuckles and pinion stuff  (Read 1901 times)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
knuckles and pinion stuff
« on: February 18, 2010, 11:33:57 PM »
OK so I got the castle nuts off the ball joints, how do I drop the knuckles?
Also, I got the pinion our but now the other internal stuff (race? and other stuff)
And how do I get the inner axle seals out?

So the axle is cleaning up nicely.  I'm waiting for the UPS man to bring my brackets and jonny joints the I can burn them in and throw some paint on.

Whats your guys opinion on yukon gears?

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: knuckles and pinion stuff
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:45:32 AM »
As long as you have the shafts pulled just give the knuckles a good wack and they will come off. And axle seals just run a long pole like a broom handle down the tubes and knock the seals into the pumkin.

My buddies running yukon gears and he likes them.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 10:40:56 PM »
OK so I got the castle nuts off the ball joints, how do I drop the knuckles?

With a very big C-clamp or the parts stores rent a ball joint removal tool that will press of the ball joints, one at a time..
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 01:48:03 AM »
Ill try the C clamp tonight. I also tried the broom handle down the axle tube but still couldn't get the inner axle seals out.  Any other ideas?  What about the pinion race and seal? I got just about all my goods today, its an early bday presant to myself. Who has an opinion on drilled and slotted rotors for wheeling, do you think there's an issue of filling up w mud

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 02:11:26 AM »
yes on the filling up with mud not worth the hassle
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 10:32:01 PM »
my front rotors are slotted i think they came on all the later cherokees and i havent had issues with them, they be after market though since i havent seen them on anything else. Either way i think the best/cheapest brake up grade is using outer knuckles, rotors, and calipers off of a grand cherokee they use a 2 piston caliper and r really beast, the best thing i they will bolt right up. I've thought about doing the swap but i really want to hold off till i get a D44 bc ill get a brake up grade with those.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:47:21 PM »
The Grand Cherokee brakes will be an upgrade from what you currently have. I've seen a lot of debate about the slotted rotors. From what I gathered the guys that do a lot of highspeed wheeling such as sand dunes and things like that really like the slots, but the crawler types don't seem to be impressed. One thing that you could look into is a disk brake conversion for the rear to replace the drums. That will be a definate improvement in braking power and you don't have to worry nearly as much about all the stuff that gets caught in the drums.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:37:28 AM »
also if you go to disc brakes in the rear you should pull a proportioning valve out of a grand cherokee and it will give the correct front to rear split for disc brakes since they came with disc in the rear.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 06:55:14 AM »
The only reason for the drilled and slotted rotors is to evacuate gases that build up under heavy breaking
 have you ever noticed that your breaks fade when you ride them
If you are looking for a break up grade grab the front outers from a grand and the rear disc and it is basicaly a over the counter up grade and is easy to get parts for
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »
I'm not sure if the rears will fit since he has a d44
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »

The rear D44 in my TJ has been upgraded to disc brakes. I'll have to see if I can find any part numbers since I really have no idea what parts were used for the upgrade. It could be discs from a Rubi 44, but I'm not sure.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 07:57:49 PM »

look at th d44a from the grand

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
i didnt realize the grand cherokee ever came with a dana 44 but the ones off a rubicon should work for sure.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 02:16:12 AM »
Roger if you can check that out it would be great.  Would I have to weld special brackets for the disks?

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 03:53:58 AM »
You shouldn't have to the brackets should bolt right on. 
2005 F-150

-Nate