Author Topic: chop top cherokee.  (Read 5383 times)

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
chop top cherokee.
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:20:05 AM »
might of posted something about this before but yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_s2qQrxt48

anybody know of any write ups on it? if i can do this i might keep the xj instead of getting a jk.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: chop top cherokee.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:36:20 AM »
yeah, flex is having it done to his as we speak, with a full cage.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 02:48:49 AM »
is he doing it or he's having it done? i'd rather do it myself to save $$$
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 02:52:40 AM »
ship yours down here to florida or get me a plane ticket and i will break out the saws all
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 02:55:44 AM »
saws all has already been introduced to my fenders. there is absolutely no more room to cut out of them without having to reweld some seams. but i mean honestly now. how would this be done? i can't find any write ups on naxja.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline inthemud14

• Trail Passenger
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 03:23:46 AM »
not really a write up, but heres some ideas that are pretty cleaver.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=976867
89 XJ, 5.5 lift, d30/8.8 open/open, 33's, winch bumper

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:31:16 AM »
Doug, Nate is having the guy who is building his cage do his. Its a lot of work, and I don't think there is any specific way to do it. Kind of a plan as you go sort of thing. I would imagine a lot of adjustments, and it would probably end up costing a bit. Its something I'd personally like to do when I have another DD and my own garage and tools. But hey if you want to do it, whip out the saws all and don't look back I guess. Good luck.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:50:23 PM »
we shall see. im leaving here shortly so the who knows whats gonna happen when i get back.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 06:03:22 PM »
apparently there is an abandoned cherokee with the chop top at the bottom of this mountain that we wheel at called peacock flats (look it up it's pretty insane) so i might go look at that, if it's worth the hassle maybe i'll turn it into da next trail rig n turn my green cherokee into a dd again.
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 10:13:52 PM »
Chopping the top is the easy part, its giving the jeep the structural support back that becomes difficult, so basically if ur planning on taking the top off u need to do a cage at the same time. If not its going to break in a hurry and it just wouldnt be safe.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 06:00:19 PM »
ok, if it happens then i'll know what to do. thnx guys. btw will hows the jk treating ya?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 12:48:26 AM »
btw Will hows the jk treating ya?
The JK if fine, a slight in-counter with a tree last weekend but all is better now.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 08:36:16 PM »
worse than mine? remember i had to replace the whole front right side  ;D. im thinking about getting a jk rubicon but my question is about the electronic sway bar disconnect that it comes with im told after you lift it it can bind. hows yours?
1982 CJ7-stock

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 10:41:42 PM »
I had a switch go bad but it was before we put on the lift I think (warranty). No problems with it since then.
If people do not add the correct disconnect extensions when they lift they could have problems.
You are still going to want to upgrade it, I still want about 20k worth of stuff to add to mine.

Look for a good used JK or a TJ Unlimited and save 10 grand, then spend the 10k on lift, armor, wheels, tires, etc.

I don't remember what you did to your XJ, mine was just a little fiberglass readjustment

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 08:29:44 AM »
yeah i have a few connections out here with some ppl so im going to try and get a jk rubicon but i could settle for the tj rubicon since the inline six is something i can actually work on.  ;D but on the sway bar topic you have to add extensions in for it to keep working?
1982 CJ7-stock