Author Topic: Why lift blocks stink  (Read 775 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Why lift blocks stink
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:12:42 AM »

yea...
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Why lift blocks stink
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 04:17:28 AM »
I won't use lift blocks. The very first lift I ever put on a vehicle was on my 1994 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer. I put on a 6" lift that had 6" coils for the front, but had a combination of add-a-leaf and 2" lift blocks in the rear. My Bronco drove awful on the road with the blocks back there. It was very bouncy and stiff. I upgraded from lift blocks within a month. I bought F350 shackle hangers and put them in the back of my Bronco upside down to achieve 4" of lift. It was an amazing ride difference. It was a lot of work since I had to drop the gas tank to do it, but it was well worth it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 04:23:07 AM »
Yeah I still have those 1 1/2 '' blocks i grabbed from that one axle, they are sittting under my seat in my XJ probably never to be used. I just got my new 1.5''-2'' shackles from rough country, and my extended break lines from ironrockoffroad, and nates got some coil spacers for me, so I'll be going up soon. Of course I would do this right after i just fixed my wheelbase with the longer control arms. Now I'm going to have to get adjustables!! >:(. Either that or snag up that JCR drop bracket kit like you had. maybe I will be able to rock it at 4.5'' with those pro comp fixed arms for a bit. Who knows.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 04:31:40 AM by BlacXJeep »
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 04:52:08 AM »
4.5" of lift you should be fine with those arms. I would suggest longarms or the drop brackets anything above 4.5". I had my XJ on 4.5" for a long time with the short arms. It wasn't until I put the coil spacers in that I needed the drop brackets to make the drive bearable.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 05:12:19 AM »
sweet, hopefully Nate and I can knock it out in the next few weeks
W.O.J.