Author Topic: Attention nerds and gearheads, Co2 Tank for use with OBA?  (Read 3108 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Attention nerds and gearheads, Co2 Tank for use with OBA?
« on: January 02, 2010, 12:30:48 AM »
So I have obtained a 20lb Co2 tank, and I just got my brand new Viair 400p compressor. The Viair is a portable compressor, but I plan on hardwiring it into the jeep. The Co2 tank is rated for 1800psi, so it should be more than capable of the job I need it to do. The compressor is 33% Duty @ 100 PSI, Oil-Less Design, 150 psi Maximum Working Pressure, Fills a 3 Gal tank from 0 to 105PSI in 1 min 40 Secs, flows 2.0 CFM @ 30 PSI w/ a 23 Amp draw. I really want to use the Co2 tank in conjuction with the compressor, but I'm confused because the Co2 tank has a threaded CGA-320 Proprietary gas valve. First of all will I be able to readily find an adapter for that valve without having to order it? Can I actually use this tank with the compressor since there is only the one outlet?

bottle and valve look like this

20lb Co2 tank

CGA-320 Proprietary Gas Valve
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: Attention nerds and gearheads, Co2 Tank for use with OBA?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:38:13 AM »
This seems like a good setup to kinda follow

W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 02:08:54 AM »
That diagram is pretty close to my set up.  My tank is just an old 600lb capacity fire extinquisher.  As far as finding fittings locally, try ABC welding, across from BJ's in Waterford.  I know they fill tanks, so they should have fittings..
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 02:14:14 AM »
Every time i try to google some sort of fitting all i can find is Co2 regulators with a 3/8 barbed. this would probably work but it would be a Co2 gauge. If nate and I figure out my other jeep issue maybe we can look around and see what we can find.
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 03:49:11 AM »
yea i really dont think its going to bad to setup ill have to take a look at everything.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 04:45:48 AM »
if we cant find a fitting autozone sells a 7 gallon air tank for around 30 bones. I'll just do that.
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 06:35:48 AM »
So Nate and I got everything mostly setup today. Going to be a pretty kick ass system. We have a few last touches to work out tomorrow. Pics and possibly a write up to follow.
W.O.J.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:59:19 PM »
Did you set it up so that you can drain the condensation from the tank?
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 02:23:27 AM »
how bout that write up?
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 05:51:38 AM »
how does it work how quickly does it fill up your tires
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:01:40 PM »
Did you set it up so that you can drain the condensation from the tank?

No I thought about that, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I suppose that could be added later. Anyways Heres how it went together. I managed to get the tank for free, and the compressor for Christmas, so it only cost me about 100 bones for the fittings, hoses and pressure switch.

Parts:
-20lb Coke CO2 tank
-Viair 400P portable compressor
-Various Fittings
-Air Hose
-Springs
-Hose Clamps
-12x24'' Sheet of steel (Thank you Bob Evans Inc. in Westerly!)
-Well Pressure Switch 30-50psi (we modified it using different springs to start at 60psi and shut off at 155psi)
-Electrical wire
-Nuts and bolts

We Started by spending about an hour and a half between Home Cheapo, and ACE hardware, but finally peiced together some fittings that would work. We had the CO2 tank and the compressor in a shopping cart at home depot and the older woman at the door, asked me if it was propane, I think she thought I was a terrorist. Anyhow, now we needed a pressure switch, but we weren't having much luck. We finally bumped into a small pressure switch, most likely used for a well. We also stopped by Bob Evans Inc. in Westerly, to grab a peice of sheet steel to bolt the tank down to the floor. We cut  slits in it and ran hose clamps through to secure the tank. The plate was then bolted through the floor. The pressure switch was only setup for 30-50psi, but we think it is rated closer to 200psi, so we fooled around with the spring rates and nate dialed them in to 60-155psi. In other words it will fill to 155psi before it turns off the compressor, but it wont come back on untill the tank gets down to 60psi. 60 is a little low, I would rather it be at about 80psi, but with such a big tank it shouldn't be an issue. If it is I will tinker with it later. So the tank is now at 155psi, and the system works well, with the exception of a small leak from the gauge fitting. I will solder it or try retaping the threads, but for now I just close the valve on the bottle and leave the compressor off.

here are some pics

W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 11:17:12 PM »
Looks good. I wish I had space for something like that in my TJ.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 01:49:42 AM »
Looks good.  If you wanted to go to a smaller and tighter pressure range for the switch try air horn switches.  I bought mine on ebay and with shipping it was around $15.  Also the coil hoses like I have you can get from harbour freight for under $10.  The coil is nice since it won't get tangled up. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 01:53:10 AM »
have a 35 foot coil hose also, but it came with he compressor and has a female disco on it. I may modify it later.
W.O.J.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 05:57:17 PM »
I'm mobil, so can't see the pics, but if u mount the tank up-side-down and put a drain-cock at the lowest point, u can drain it. Otherwise u risk collecting condensation till the tank is full of water.
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work