Author Topic: Bad wheel bearing?  (Read 2081 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Bad wheel bearing?
« on: December 29, 2009, 10:41:04 PM »
I'm getting a metal on metal scraping/whirring noise, that directly correlates with speed, and doesnt seem to have any relation to the brakes. It seems to be coming from the passenger side front, but I havent had a chance to pinpoint it yet. I have the HP dana 30 with ABS, so it looks like I'll need to replace the whole hub assembly if it is a bad wheel bearing correct? I'm really leaning towards wheel bearing because even prior to swapping in my non ABS rear axle, my ABS light was on. I have read that a bad wheel bearing will throw an ABS light. The only other thing I could think of is a rock or something stuck between pad and rotor because I can see a pretty good groove in the rotor through the wheel. If it werent so damn cold I would have the wheel off, but maybe i'll take a peek tomorrow. Any imput guys?
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Bad wheel bearing?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »
just tear it down and ull know for sure, none the less i have 2 spare wheel bearings ill be home tomorrow night come over anytime after that and we can fix it.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 12:13:16 AM »
Thursday morning good for you?
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 12:21:41 AM »
Sounds like a wheelbearing. My XJ didn't have the metal on metal scraping sound, but I could tell there was something loose in the front end. I brought it to Sears for their free front end inspection and they pinpointed the wheelbearing in a matter of minutes. I said thanks and drove my Jeep to Autozone for the part and replaced it myself (actually in Jeremy's garage). Mine went right past the scraping to being loose and allowing the entire wheel to wobble.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:41:15 AM »
doesn't seem loose but I don't want it to get to that point. thanks for the imput guys, hopefully get it banged out this week.
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »
so u wanna come over tomorrow morning around 10 ill be pretty hung over but we can get it done.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
Sounds good Nate. I'm not sure I'm even going out with this weather tonight. If need be, due to inebriation we can make it 11.
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
just call me on ur way over. we will need to go grab some kerosene b/c it ran out last time.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 11:05:19 PM »
roger that
W.O.J.

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 04:49:00 AM »
ok so I got pissed off and jacked up the XJ with my high lift at work. Popped of the passenger drum, and there she was, e-brake adjuster. It chewed a pretty nice groove in my drum, but I'll either replace it or forget it. I hate drums anyways. But the sound is gone and I don't have to do a wheel bearing or a u-joint etc. so im happy
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 03:30:37 PM »
I thought you said it was coming from the front. If you had said it could be from the rear I would have said to check your emergency brake for drag. I was on a trip with my Explorer sport one time and had to cut the emergency brake cable on the side of the highway. When I pulled over the steel wheel was smoking and you couldn't touch it because it was so hot.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 04:48:28 AM »
it sounded like the front before, but once it got louder, i knew it was rear. It was actually just the adjuster cable inside the brakes, not the e-brake cable sorry. Nonetheless, its fixed and put a new drum on which was covered under warranty. ;D
W.O.J.