Author Topic: Cage  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Cage
« on: December 14, 2009, 01:45:55 AM »
So for those of you that are sitting on the edge of your seats to see how my cage is going to look i attempted to draw some stuff up in paint. So here it is. Nothings set in stone, so give me your thoughts. When me and scott measured it out it came to about 140ft of tube which is about normal for a full cage, but either way here it is cant wait to see ur input.

2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
Re: Cage
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 03:34:52 AM »
well, i know one thing. i'd love to help weld it. great design!!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 03:38:22 AM »
I like it. It will look really good. Are there going to be crossmembers over the top connecting everything together? I know you couldn't draw those since you probably don't have a top down view of your Jeep. Will you still be able to use your cargo rack on top and have it tied directly into the cage?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 05:37:35 PM by calvynandhobbs »
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 04:53:25 PM »
how much is this gonna cost, just curious?
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »
I like it. It will look really good. Are there going to be crossmembers over the top connecting everything together? I know you couldn't draw those since you probably don't have a top down view of your Jeep. Will you still be able to use your cargo rack on top and have it tied directly into the cage?

The cargo rack is coming off and there is going to be an X on the top and then a rear horizontal bar behind the top X that wasnt shown.

how much is this gonna cost, just curious?

Should come out to between 1500-2000. Im looking at it as investment, the jeep will just last longer with it.
2000 XJ Sport 6.5 inch TNT Longarms, 36" IROK Radials, HP dana 30, Ford 8.8 aussie locker, 4.10s, front bumper with stinger and 9500 mile maker winch, Rock Sliders, OBA. full exo cage, chopped.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »
oops i lied to rear horizontal bar is shown.
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 08:40:55 PM »
Are you going to mount the spare in the bed that you are creating in the back end or are you gonna have it tied to the cage at an angle with the cross bars? Depending on the distances between bars you may not be able to get the tire inside the cage. Here are a couple pics of Tim's ZJ and how he mounted his 38.5" Baja Claw. He did an internal cage and mounted the spare tire in the back where the tailgate used to be.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 08:42:58 PM by calvynandhobbs »
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
yea the mount for the spare is going to go on the angled rear X. the rear view mirror will be useless but at least i wount have any rear glass to break, when i back into trees
2005 F-150

-Nate

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 05:59:15 AM »
you need to add a virtical rizer in the middle (see thick green lines ) and move the red bar  with the x on it to where the orange line is and it is always good to add some door bars othe than that it looks like it will be a very strong cage and don't forget to add gussets

are you planning to add five point harnesses if so you need to add some horizontal bars across slightly below shoulder height
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline Flex

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 07:03:10 PM »
yea no plans to add five point harness anytime soon but when and if i do decided to do so it will be pretty easy to just weld in  horizontal bar onto the x that is going in behind the front seats.
2005 F-150

-Nate

centralmasssamurai

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 01:30:22 AM »
Hey guys,,Scott here, Im the guy doing Nates cage, We will be using 1&5/8th 120 wall DOM, he is going with the good stuff on this cage, the few xtra bux on material is way worth the strength factor.

centralmasssamurai

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 01:44:09 AM »
you need to add a virtical rizer in the middle (see thick green lines ) and move the red bar  with the x on it to where the orange line is and it is always good to add some door bars othe than that it looks like it will be a very strong cage and don't forget to add gussets

are you planning to add five point harnesses if so you need to add some horizontal bars across slightly below shoulder height

I asked him & he said he wants to be able to open the back doors or Id agree he needs support where you put the green lines, so to take care of the strength issue there, I will be running an interior X out through the roof and tieing it into the halo right behind the front seats, also keep in mind just behind the back doors where the roof will end and the halo drops down there will be another large X/tie mount and a cross brace, also the roof where the rack use to be will also be */x thats an X plus an additional bar, one thing for sure, this will be one rugged -bash into off of & over anything he wants to hit!!!
    As soon as I get started on this EXO I will be sure to snap a few pix and post them up!!!
   Last week I just removed my EXO off of my buggy to redo it, so as soon as thats done/underway I will start on Nates rig!!!  8)

Stay tuned!!! Scott <CentralMassSamurai>

P.S  my harnesses out of my drag car expired this summer so they wont pass tech next season,,so maybe Ill supprise Nate and put them in for him, something tells me he might need them  ;)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:48:28 AM by centralmasssamurai »

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 02:07:54 AM »
Scott, it will be great seeing the progress of the cage as it evolves. Someday when I can get a new DD I might think about exo-caging my TJ and trailering it to go off-roading.
1994 YJ on 37s

centralmasssamurai

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 02:09:02 AM »
Well,,,The holidays are over and now the winter cage building has begun!!! ;D
   I thought I would stop by here and show you guys whats going on,,Nate brought his rig up too me as you all know. Some of you saw my Samurai at the toy run and might have noticed it had been modified a few times over the last cpl years. So the day after the toy run I decided to remove it and re-do it completely. That was before nate got his Jeep up to me. Since then I/we a friend of mine and I have teamed up and purchased alot of new equipment fab equipment that is.
   We purchased a new bender JD32 air over hydrolic& the newest Bendtech software to go along with it. We started on my cage as a ginnie pig, I took a few pix to show how its going so far, as soon as we get this rig done we will jump om Nate Jeep.  We got all of our 260' of DOM tubing and let me tell you this stuff is rugged!!!!! The bender makes it so smooth and easy we are loving it!!! here is a few teaser pix. We hope to have my rig done by the end of Jan and started on Nates right after. The progress we are making it might be sooner. The pix Im going to post are 1 weekends work!!! keep in mind 2 guys so twice the hours, we already have 40 hours into it!!!

centralmasssamurai

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 02:18:15 AM »