Author Topic: Jeep Problems  (Read 2371 times)

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Jeep Problems
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:32:41 PM »
Roger did you pick up that oil pan skid?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:27:40 PM by moosin88 »
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Jeep Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
Roger did you pick up that oil pan skid?

No, the guy had one person in front of me and it got picked up. This past weekend I broke the ujoint in my rear driveshaft again and I think I tweaked my trans mount. While out on the trail Saturday I had a lot of problems getting it into 1st and couldn't use 2nd at all. The body seemed to be in the way. It is now shifting fine, but I think I have some slop down there.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
Jeep Problems
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 10:38:09 PM »
Rodger what did you break on the food run
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Jeep Problems
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:08:26 AM »
Rodger what did you break on the food run

Rear driveshaft ujoint. I think I bound it up on the 2nd obstacle when I flexed it hard. The guy from NTC told me to hold where I was to allow pictures because he said the rear was flexed so hard that it looked broken. It didn't break then, but it's got a nasty vibration now that is getting worse and I got that chirping back like I had before I changed it the last time. Either my transmission is moving in relation to the body or the body is moving in relation to the transmission also. For part of the run I couldn't get the stick far enough left to hit 1st or 2nd gear because the center console and body were in the way. I think the trans mount has slop in it and probably contributed to binding the rear ujoint.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:10:32 AM by calvynandhobbs »
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Jeep Problems
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:30:03 AM »
Get the tranny notwt from auto zone i was ripping them out when ever i would go into 4 low until i bought that one and it has a life time warranty
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: Jeep Problems
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 01:20:45 AM »
Get the tranny notwt from auto zone i was ripping them out when ever i would go into 4 low until i bought that one and it has a life time warranty

Is it a polyurethane mount?  I have some play in mine, but I have been putting it off until I build a belly up skid and make my own mount.

Roger- do you have a Motor Mount Lift?  I know you have the body lift and adding a MML would decrease the drive shaft angle and "should" help.  Footman runs the Brown Dog MML and I have the M.O.R.E. ones, both are very well built.  I would avoid the spacer type only because your Jeep has so many miles and the stock MM could probably stand to be replaced.  The MM could also be contributing to the shifter problem since the MM and transmission mount work together to keep the drive line centered. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 01:29:55 AM »
My Jeep already has a motor mount lift in it and if I remember right they are Brown Dog brand. I've never messed with the trans mount though so I don't know if it's ever been changed or not.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 01:38:53 AM »
have you checked into the slop you were having yet in the tranny?

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 01:51:32 AM »
No i don't like The polly mounts i ripped out The polly mount The first Time i went out so i warrantied it and i did it again on The run Up at gutter so Then i went with an oem style and it has lasted ever since The poly mount i had was from energy suspension and had Two bolts That ran into The mount and The oem has Two studs That go into The mount and it is about a quarter inch shorter Than The poly mount

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 02:53:33 AM »
have you checked into the slop you were having yet in the tranny?

I've tried pushing on it and I can't get it to move without the body moving, but I know the force I put on it is a lot less than the engine and the welded rear axle. I took a break from work and got the rear driveshaft changed out tonight over at Will's garage and it was definately shot. Vibration is gone now. The trans mount is only about $40 from autozone so I may switch it out sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas just for safe measure. I'll also check my motor mounts.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 05:01:34 AM »
I've been following this thread and I came to a conclusion. It sounds like if you have gone through two poly bushings then your entire driveline is moving way to much(i know...I'm a rocket scientist..LOL) Obviously most of the movement is during times of stress and flex. I would start tracking down the movement by beginning to look at how some of your major mounts are bolted. Check to see that the holes in your trans skid aren't all wallowed out allowing the whole skid to move, or even the actual holes that your MM are bolted into through the frame. I can't imagine that the movement of just the tranny or t-case is enough to destroy a poly bushing. Something just seems to be more severe. It could be as drastic as a frame crossmember cracked or broken away from one of the side frame rails too. Though its highly unlikely, its possible. That alone would give you lots of frame twist that would contribute to the problem getting into gear. Just a thought... ::)

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 01:33:20 PM »
thats thinking out of the box. What about it roger? Hows your under carriage?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 04:22:48 PM »
My undercarriage looks good. There's not even surface rust on any of the frame. I think I led you down the wrong path with my previous post. I have never changed the trans mount, but my Jeep does have a motor mount lift. What I have had to change is the rear driveshaft ujoint twice within the last 2 months.

This past Saturday was the first time I ever had a problem with being able to go into 1st or 2nd gear where the shifter seemed to be binding on the left side of the center console. I haven't had a problem with it since then. This is why I am questioning my trans mount at this point, but I do not know if it is bad or not yet.

The trans mount could have contributed to binding the rear ujoint if there is any slop in it. I also need to measure the pinion angle of my rear axle. By just looking at it from the side my pinion appears to be pointed up a little too far. This could be due to the fact that I have RE 4.5" lift superflex non-adjustible arms with only 3.5" lift coils all the way around. Would lifting it up that additional inch lower the pinion angle?
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
Roger when i ordered my new springs (RE 4.5") i also emailed rubicon express about the length of their non adjustable lower control arms so i would know the length to set mine. Eric Ennis replied that their super flex kit lower control arms are 16" center to center. The same arms for both kits.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 11:25:16 PM »
when you checked the tranny mount how did you do it? if you just grab the tranny and shake it the body will flex the suspension before the tranny will move the way i do it is either move the tranny around with a crow bar or have some one else get in the jeep and apply a load (apply brakes and slowly let out on the clutch the torque of the motor will make stuff move) also this only happend under flex so check the body bushings they may be worn or the motor mounts may be bad 

here are the 2 different mounts that i tried