Author Topic: Lift Preparations  (Read 3073 times)

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Lift Preparations
« on: September 30, 2009, 01:53:19 PM »
I am begining to look at lifting the TJ.  Let me start with some basic questions and we can go from there.

Body Lift or Suspension Lift?

I am probably favoring the Suspension Lift.  What are the pros and cons of both?

Offline Tsunami

• Rock Crawler
    • Tsunami's facebook
Re: Lift Preparations
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:09:51 PM »
not too sure about pros and cons, but i think suspention should definitely come first, the body lift will be cheaper, but i think it will give you more roll over, swaying around like that when yur wheelin can throw off yur center of gravity
2010 mazdaspeed3

Offline WillC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »
Would the springs and shocks we took off Footmans rig work ?

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 05:05:35 PM »
Body lifts are less expensive than suspension lifts, but I like the fact that they get the body up a little bit off of the frame so it is easier to clean mud out and hopefully prevent a little rust since the frame is easier to get to. Suspension lifts are a more expensive, but they provide for a better ride while off road and depending on what kind of lift they replace weaker factory parts. I'm currently running a 3.5" suspension lift with 1.25" body lift and am pretty happy with it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 05:29:51 PM »
Would the springs and shocks we took off Footmans rig work ?

I think Steve and Mike worked out a deal for Steve's old stuff.

Suspension lifts are generally the best way to go for the reasons Roger mentioned.  Also the "best" way to lift a Jeep seems to be a combination of a Suspension Lift and a Body lift.  Body Lifts over 1 1/4" are NOT recomended, but 1" body lift will offer room for a Motor Mount Lift which will allow for a belly up skid, but that is down the road. 

IMO start with a 3-4" suspension lift, and rember that you get what you pay for.  We have guys running a lot of different lift kits and if you can see them in action you can find one you will like.  As far a flex, the kits Steve, Roger and Ed run seem to work really well.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »
I  always  preffered  suspension  over  body.  it  allows  for  more  wheel  travel  as  well  as  larger  tires thus  resulting  in  more  traction  and  better  offroadability.  the  choices  are basically  limited  to  your  imagination  and  budget. 

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »
Chuck, I read one of you other posts about planning a 2 inch lift. Go to at least 3 or 4, 2 inches WILL NOT be enough, and you will soon crave more. Remember Jeeps are a disease not a hobby. Its much less expensive to do it right the first time. For example I'm at 3 inches and now its going to cost me probably around $800 or more just to get to 4.5-5''. So I will probably just wait and go with a long arm kit in the future, which run anywere from $1100-$3000 or some even more. Point is I'm kicking myself wishing I had just started with 5 or 6 inches. I'm sure others will vouch for that.
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 02:23:34 AM »
why do u think i am still on 31's i have 2 years in planning how to build my jeep i think i want to go one way and i change my mind i know you get what you pay for so that is why i don't have A RC 4 inch lift And 33'S i Am right now still deciding But it is A toss up on how to Build And what you want low cog high As 2 kite rolling on 40'S i thought i knew what i wanted And got A set of one ton Axles set up to run 38'S But i started looking into the lift laws And realized that my rig will Be A trailer queen in A lot of states so now i have Changed my mind Again And Am Building A low Cog rig on 35's
"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 03:13:49 AM »
I have been building my Jeep for 9+ years now.  My 2 cents is to do it right the first time.  I bought the lift kit that was the one I wanted not the one I could afford.  I know this is not always possible, so if you want to build your Jeep in stages, buy used.  There are 2 " spacer lifts on Ebay all the time, throw some 32" tires under it and wheel it while saving money for the kit you want. 

Check out ebay, craigslist and other forums, great deals are out there! ;)
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 04:14:43 AM »
I have been building my Jeep for 9+ years now.  My 2 cents is to do it right the first time.  I bought the lift kit that was the one I wanted not the one I could afford.  I know this is not always possible, so if you want to build your Jeep in stages, buy used.  There are 2 " spacer lifts on Ebay all the time, throw some 32" tires under it and wheel it while saving money for the kit you want. 

Check out ebay, craigslist and other forums, great deals are out there! ;)

x2 for craigs and ebay, I'm am a Craigslist Queen, just about everything on my rig minus the lift itself is either from someone in the club, ebay or craigslist. You can do it on a budget, its just a slow process.
W.O.J.

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 02:00:33 PM »
So everyone recommends at least a 3 inch lift.  Just remember that I have to be able to get the kids and the wife in and out of it.  I will start looking around for a 3" suspension lift.  What size tires will that allow?

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 07:03:51 PM »
Chuck, You probably want to run at least 33x10.5s that way you are allowed to go on most of the trails
W.O.J.

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 02:22:23 AM »
So everyone recommends at least a 3 inch lift.  Just remember that I have to be able to get the kids and the wife in and out of it.  I will start looking around for a 3" suspension lift.  What size tires will that allow?

OK, first to answer this question, a 3" kit should get you 32's-33's on a TJ. But back to the original question of "body vs. suspension" lift... My opinion has always been to go suspension. A body lift only gain you clearance to the frain that you get with the bigger tires, so a 2" body lift get you 32's. A stock TJ has 29's or 30's depending on what wheel package you got. so you really only gain 1" of clearance at the frame. Now do a 2" suspension lift. You moved the frame up 2", plus you can now roll 32's. A totl gain of 3" clearance at the frame. You will always only gain the extra clearance that you get from the tires at your differential, but you will get more frame clearance from a suspension lift.

That being said, there is a lotof people that are of the opinion that limiting suspension lift is better. It keeps your center of gravity lower to reduce the risk of roll-over. So a body lift, and maybe some high-line front fenders and some cut-out flares on a TJ can really add a lot of tire size. If I remember right, there is a set-up from AEV that gets you front fenders, a new hood, and new flares for the rear that will fit 33's on a stock suspension. Add a 2" body lift and you get 35's and have really not raised your center of gravity signifigantly. I reccomend grabbing a couple issues of JP magazine and reading what they have to say about lifts. They really push keeping the center of gravity low.

At any rate, which ever way you go, we will gladly help you out. I have personally put a Rock Krawler 7" long-arm triangulate 4-link onto a TJ, and there is a lot more experience in the club. We will be happy to help.

PaulW

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 02:46:07 AM »
i'm in for wrenching!

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 02:57:58 AM »

At any rate, which ever way you go, we will gladly help you out. I have personally put a Rock Krawler 7" long-arm triangulate 4-link onto a TJ, and there is a lot more experience in the club. We will be happy to help.

WHAT????