Author Topic: Ford 8.8 axle swap  (Read 28910 times)

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
Re: Ford 8.8 axle swap
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2008, 08:44:21 PM »
lol. sweet

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2008, 03:49:36 AM »
Got my brackets today!!!

Scott, have I told you how nice the FJ looks recently?  ;D
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2008, 03:57:43 AM »
you gonna have that axle in before saturday?  :)
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2008, 02:32:20 PM »
Got my brackets today!!!

Scott, have I told you how nice the FJ looks recently?  ;D

Actually Justin you haven't! LOL  ;D 
So you have the upper 3-link mount/truss, 2 lower control arm mounts, 2 coil buckets, and 2 shock mounts right? Did I miss anything?
Also, I would like to suggest getting all the brackets done before installing the gears, locker, shafts, etc...its easier to move around and turn over and such. How close are you to laying things out?

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
I don't have anything going on tonight if you aren't busy.  I just need to stop by Doball's place and grab the angle finder to set the pinion angle.  Other than that, we could do the tacking tonight, but I would rather do the test fit either at the hobby shop. Or, when the weather gets better, we could do it at my place.

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2008, 03:58:18 PM »
I'm just curious here (trying hard to cause trouble) ... what do you expect to do with an angle finder, exactly?
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2008, 05:15:38 PM »
I'm just curious here (trying hard to cause trouble) ... what do you expect to do with an angle finder, exactly?

Basically,
The angle finder is actually(or the ones I've seen) magnetic and can exactly tell you what your driveshaft angle is and then, along with your pinion angle, you can determine and set the safe operating range of your u-joint depending on the application.

Here's basically how: I would put his jeep on level ground, put the pinion angle gauge on the axle and see what its at right now because he's not going higher with the lift so it should be set the same. The angle gauge will show what we need to set the 8.8 at to resemble its installed position. Then all the other brackets are set to true level (coil buckets, 3-link truss, and the lower control arm mounts). After being welded, the brackets should set the pinion angle damn near exact and, if needed, the lower control arms can be used to fine tune the angle.

This is a good writeup on driveline stuff...
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Driveline-101.shtml

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2008, 05:36:37 PM »
ah, okay, I was under the impression that he believed that his was not currently set right.

for a CV driveshaft, the pinion angle is supposed to be such that the pinion yoke is pointed directly at the tcase output yoke.  I wouldn't think that and angle finder would be much help with that, except as you say, assuming that the current one is properly setup.

Ahh, I see, that article is telling you how to do math based on the measurements, even if it's not currently right ... I guess that makes sense.

A few things however that need to be taken into consideration are:
aren't you replacing your tcase yoke with a shorter sye?
is the distance from the axle tube center (or possibly spring perches) to the pinion yoke on the 8.8 the same as on your D35?

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »
Yes, I am getting a short output yoke for the T-case.  It's only going to shave off about 5/8" of length.  From the writeup's I've read on the swap, everyone uses the same drive shaft they used for the D35.  The hard part is going to be getting the position and measurements of the brackets exactly where they need to be.

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2008, 05:47:34 PM »
Yes, yes it is.

:)

It's certainly more than I'd have the patience for.  :)

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2008, 05:48:47 PM »
is the distance from the axle tube center (or possibly spring perches) to the pinion yoke on the 8.8 the same as on your D35?

That's a good question Al....Axle? I'm sure it would be easier to determine this with his D35 off the rig and set next to the 8.8 however I'm not sure he want to remove the 35 until the 8.8 is ready to go on so....measure 7 different times and ways, burn once.

Also, I think the coil seats HAVE to land on the center of the axle tube for strength purposes. If the 8.8 is longer than the D35 (center of axle tube to pinion nose) than he may need a new driveshaft. Axle, have you thought about this??

Simply put, the coils buckets must remain in the same relative location to the frame mounted ones (directly below), which determines where the coil buckets should be,(centered on the axle tube) which will determine where the pinion actually lands. I would think the 8.8 has a longer pinion "nose" than the 35 so with a SYE, he MIGHT get away with his current driveshaft...*Yoda* Factors, there are so many of...

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2008, 05:52:54 PM »
*Yoda* Factors, there are so many of...

Hrm, I think this should probably be, "Factors, so many there are"

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2008, 05:58:43 PM »
Yes, I have thought about this issue.  So, the solution I discussed with Carolina driveshaft is to wait until the 8.8 is under the jeep and measure the distance with the new output yoke on the t-case.  Which, I don't have yet, because I need to pull the driveshaft and the old output yoke and measure the spline length of the yoke.  Then, I can call JB conversions and they will send me the appropriate yoke.  Also, as well as welding on the brackets, I have to weld some nuts and tabs for the brake system.

Scott, do you think you will have time tonight for us to start on this?  Say, 1800?  I could try for 1630 if that is too late to start.  I don't expect to get everything done at once, just start chipping away at it.

I win!

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2008, 06:03:18 PM »
I wasn't speaking so much out of concern for your driveshaft length, as I was out of how these differences effect the proper pinion angle.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2008, 07:06:49 PM »
Scott, do you think you will have time tonight for us to start on this?  Say, 1800?  I could try for 1630 if that is too late to start.  I don't expect to get everything done at once, just start chipping away at it.

You have a PM