Author Topic: Butterflies  (Read 2889 times)

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
Butterflies
« on: September 03, 2009, 03:54:13 PM »
So I have been looking through your forums and I decided to go and look at everyone's rigs.  Needless to say I am asking myself "what am I getting into?"
I have pretty much a stock Jeep.  Everything I have done to it has been electrical.  I plan on lifting it in the future and any other mods I can afford.  I will say that the butterflies went away when I saw the Toyota FJ.  If it can stand up then I feel I have no problem.  Back to looking forward to this... ;D

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
Re: Butterflies
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 04:23:53 PM »
Chuck, to become an official member you need to meet 3 requirements. Attend a meeting, a trail ride and another event like a show and go etc. Each trail ride will have certain requirements, tire size, lift height, lockers etc, depending on the difficulty. Most of the trails are a minimum of 31 inch tires There are also rig requirements to go on any trail. Full size spare, front and rear tow points etc. Everything is listed in here. http://jt4x4.com/smf/index.php?board=2.0

As far as lifting it, finding parts and knowledge you have come to the right place. I am recently new to the club myself, and everyone has been extremely friendly and helpful. If your rig won't meet the requirements for the next trail ride and you want to go on one you can always ride with someone. I may have an open seat for the next one. Hope you  stick around!
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:45:57 PM »
Don't worry about your rig.  It might even be best to ride along on a trail ride so you can get an idea of what seems to work and what doesn't.  This club is very great about helping out.  Just read the post from Ed (Moossin88) about breaking an axle shaft on the trail the first night of the Mohawk trip. 

If you have any questions like what tire do guys recommend, lift kits, SYE, anything Jeep related, we can offer you real world advice.  If you read other forums guys always post stuff like "what lift should I get" and a lot of times the guys responding had the lift installed by some shop and have never taken their rig on more then a dirt road.  The advice you will get from JT4x4 members is what seems to work on New England trails, which are different then other places.  If you look at the pics you will see a lot of the trails are tight, there is a lot of rock, ledges, a little mud, some water crossings and a LOT OF FUN.  The biggest issue when building a Jeep is the $$$.  Look around on places like craigslist, and when places like 4wd Hardware runs sales and you can build your Jeep with out having to take out a second mortgage. 

Post up any questions you have and someone will help you out.  If you do this long enough you'll return the favor some day.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 02:25:06 AM »
So I have been looking through your forums and I decided to go and look at everyone's rigs.  Needless to say I am asking myself "what am I getting into?"
I have pretty much a stock Jeep.  Everything I have done to it has been electrical.  I plan on lifting it in the future and any other mods I can afford.  I will say that the butterflies went away when I saw the Toyota FJ.  If it can stand up then I feel I have no problem.  Back to looking forward to this... ;D

Ummmm... My FJ is way more capable than it looks, even with the street tires......

Check these out...
MaBell 1

MaBell 2

MaBell 3

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 04:18:21 AM »

Ummmm... My FJ is way more capable than it looks, even with the street tires......

Check these out...
MaBell 1

MaBell 2

MaBell 3

But come on Scott, that being said, the 2 rigs with the hardest time BTC at Toys for Tots were what?? And they were pretty well built...  ::)

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 02:07:04 PM »
Hey Rob! How's things??

Only one of them broke, the other did just fine. Unfortunately, the one that broke was because of his driving...Also, the break was a known weak spot on a lifted FJ, the tie rod. There is now a heavy duty replacement available from All Pro Offroad that would have eliminated that 3 time break he had that day...And that alone should be indication of his driving style, to break the same part, 3 times on the same trail, on the same run....And they also admitted that it was a lot tougher than they thought it would be but because they drove so far to get there they were going to give it hell...LOL.. Nonetheless, I was just saying the FJ is tougher than it looks...even in stock form. A lot of folks think they are just a strange looking SUV or Soccermobile. It's actually quite far from that....

Offline B52BUFF

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 02:22:07 PM »
I just like ribbing FJ's.  When I first heard the name FJ I thought it was a Jeep then I was told it was a Toyota and all I could think was another vehicle wishing it was a Jeep.  I am sure it is capable and am looking forward to seeing it on a trail.  No hard feelings. ;D

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »
The knick name F-Gay Cruiser really doens't fit.  I was impressed at  TFT with the black FJ that didn't break.  The guy who owned it was also a pretty good mechanic, he was the one who kept fixing the yellow one.  I was impressed with Scott's in stock form.  When we went to Mabell the biggest problem he had was ground clearance.  He was the one that didn't break.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 06:05:34 AM »
With any luck, I'll be fixing the ground clearance issue soon...  ;D

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 07:09:05 PM »
The knick name F-Gay Cruiser really doens't fit.  I was impressed at  TFT with the black FJ that didn't break.  The guy who owned it was also a pretty good mechanic, he was the one who kept fixing the yellow one.  I was impressed with Scott's in stock form.  When we went to Mabell the biggest problem he had was ground clearance.  He was the one that didn't break.

clearance and tires.  the street tires really didn't allow the FJ to live up to it's potential
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2009, 01:22:23 AM »
That is sooo true...imagine how much better I would have done at MaBell with 3" of clearance and some traction...

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 04:19:51 AM »
That is sooo true...imagine how much better I would have done at MaBell with 3" of clearance and some traction...

i probably wouldn't have had to tug ya!  I still need to get back to MaBell to see how much the clearance w/ my new bumper helps on "commited"
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 02:21:37 PM »
gearhead has a stock yj and it handles fine on the trail (can't say the same for the freeway :P) and i had a stoc xj but didn't wheel it while i was there.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 07:33:22 PM »
gearhead has a stock yj and it handles fine on the trail (can't say the same for the freeway :P) and i had a stoc xj but didn't wheel it while i was there.

If I remeber right, Adam did a lot of the go arounds on the trail ride I did with him.  A lot of the trails do NOT have go arounds.  There is a reason that 90% of the guys in the club run 33's or bigger.  The only guys that have been around for a while that wheel smaller then 33's are Rocket and Sandbox Sailor.  Rocket has very nice 32's and has skid plates front to back as well as a bobbed bed and rock sliders that act like skis.  Sandbox doesn't seem to mind body damage and has 31's on his XJ. 
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »
you gotta give scott credit. that day he took it to mabell he went as far as the rest of us with one little nudge from rocket, but that was due to the street shoes.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition