Author Topic: Mohawk  (Read 818 times)

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
Mohawk
« on: August 31, 2009, 02:03:29 AM »
Allright so my luck continues. So Mel and I leave CT around 4pm on friday get to the campsite at around 6:15. So its raining and come to find out the cowl in front of the hood is filling with water and draining on our feet and the straps holding the bikini top drip as well.all of these problems not a big deal its a jeep I,m a jeepin kinda guy its all normal.So we set up tent all is good just sprinkling. Just at dark we go out to our warm up (Dodge Rd) trail ride. Thats when the bad luck continues let me explain between broken fingers,ATV, parts and the jeep needing some fixin this has been a very busted up year. Anyway about 5 minutes into the ride a small climb is required to continue so I attempt said hill and POP!! I get out of the jeep knowing that its a axle shaft but you have to look anyway.So i winch up and over the hill to a "dry spot" start the annoying replacement of the passenger axle shaft.Now through this whole few hr delay it starts raining harder and turning the trail into the freekin Mississippi river. So (hope this doesnt get to mushy) as i crawl from under the jeep and tarp that was set up over me I have a moment to look around and all these people are helping me soakin wet (i was still pretty dry)and cold. Now up until this point i have been the helper or trying to help in situations like these. And the neatest part was that no one was complaining or seamingly upset. Thats when i realized what a club is all about when someone has a bad situation everyone pitches in not cause they have to but because they just really want to help. So to all who helped me thank you very very much. I dont wish any bad luck on anyone but i hope that i can return the favor to each and every one of you at some point or another. So after we got back to camp Mel and I decided to not temp fate any more  we packed up and headed home so with no further problems we safely got home at 5am Sat. morning and went to bed. Hope everyone who stayed had a good time. And thanx again to everyone who helped.

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Mohawk
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:01:01 AM »
hey Ed, I'm glad you and Mel made it back safe. 

Offline moosin

• Trail Boss
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 03:05:13 AM »
thanks steve! we are too!! hope you guys all had a good time

mel

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:12:29 AM »
DAMN...Sounds like the first trip JT4X4 went on to Mohawk when Axle got his screen name. Same deal, first real obstacle, daylight  was ending and just as we finished up, the rain came down. For the rest of the trail, in the dark, we winched, at pretty much every obstacle we got to. Looking back now, I can't think of a better time we've ever had wheeling. Sorry to hear you left that night.

Who's doing the weekend write-up for all of us non participants to read???

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:49:14 AM »
I'm glad you guys made it back alright. We all slept in the damp cold and rain that night and were a little slow getting going Saturday morning. We had rain on an off on Saturday, but we made a pretty good day of it. Because of the weather we did not attempt OFR. We went straight to Torrey Mountain Road, then Tunnel Road and capped the day with a trip to what we are calling "Top of the World". What Ed didn't mention is that while Jeremy help tug Ed out of Dodge Rd in the rain Friday night he blew a bead on his tire and had to change tires in the rain also. Saturday Jeremy realized that he had left his wheel chock up there so this morning Jeremy, me and Mr. Rock (sorry, I don't know your real name yet) went back up Dodge Rd to get the wheel chock. That place is pretty cool looking during the day and there's a grave stone right alongside of the trail in one spot. It didn't take us long to find it so we then headed back up to "Top of the World" since it was a sunny day and we could take pictures. The view is amazing. I haven't downloaded any pics yet, but I'll get to it sometime this week.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Mr Rock

• Administrator
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 05:38:16 AM »
I had a great time! even though I got up there kind of late (7:30 ish) everyone came out to help me set up in the light rain (I was lucky that it let up long enough for  me to set up). This really is a great bunch of people! After all the work I've done on my rig to turn it from the rust bucket that it was, to a usable trail rig, I was so excited and nervous to be on my first run outside of CT. Dodge road was so cool at night but the rain was a bit much. After getting Ed going and changing Jeremy's flat then bolting up Steve's track bar we were all soaked and looking forward to going to bed but as we entered camp to see my tent down and full of water really put a cap on the night if I didn't have my Tahoe up there I would have gone back with Ed!

Saturday was a great day, I learned a lot about my rig, myself and the trails. Thanks to Kirk for some YJ to YJ spotting Thanks to Jeremy and Rodger for going back out on Sunday! It was a beautiful day! To be driving around with the top down, mud falling onto me whenever I spun the wheels, to see Dodge Road in the daylight and the great view on "top of the world", Wow what a day! Thanks to everyone for making me feel right at home! As for my rig I am pretty happy that I was able to make it though almost everything with my 33's on 3.07's and open differentials.

Thanks again, my buddy Steve and I had a great time! looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Rock, (that what everyone calls me Rodger, hence Mr. Rock)

PS; I picked up a 4.10 front axle on my way home, I'll rebuild it while looking for a Ford 8.8.
'89, 4.2, NUTTERED, Team Rush, 4" Lift, 1" BL, 1" MML & HD shackles , Flat Belly Skid, SYE, 36 x 13.50s
XRC8, 150w KC's, Herculined, Tauras Elec Fan, Dual Batteries, Aussie in front, 8.8, TJ flares & Spool in rear, topless all of the time!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 12:37:36 AM »
Don't forget to add a power steering pump to the list of "what broke."  Lucky for me it went bad when we met at Jeremy's and I held the group up for a few hours while we tracked down a pump and a pulley puller since none of the parts places had a pulley.  It only took a trip to advance auto, then to NAPA, then to United Auto Parts and then back to advance auto to get a pump with a pulley on it :P.  Then my belt started squealing again and on Saturday morning I used the metal file on my leather man to file about a 1/4" off a tab that preventing further tension. 

Jess her Brother Beau and I all had a great time.  Jess already added one of Jeremy's pics to her face-book page.  Besides the rain and the dampness it was a great weekend.  Anyone who was there will be better prepared for the rain next year, I know I will be. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT