Author Topic: fender trimmin' good!!  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
fender trimmin' good!!
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:06:47 AM »
Are full competition cut fenders legal? I'd really like to do a clayton long arm stretch conversion sometime in the future.  I'm trying to eventually set my rig up for 38 inch tires wit six inches of lift and a hi-fender kit.      ::) Kind of far fetched, but possible.  Looks like i'll be here for shore duty so i want a bad a$$ rig to wheel with. Something easily confused with a competition rock  crawler. claytons got their stretch long arm conversion (i think its for a four inch lift kit) that i want to do, utilizing the other four inch lift kit pieces and parts i allready have in place.  Throw on some one inch spring spacers and socks and a one inch body lift which will give me 6 inches of clearance.  add an extra three form the hi-fender kit and i'll have the same amount of clearance as a 9 inch lift kit. but, back to the original question, is the comp cut legal?
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: fender trimmin' good!!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 04:06:41 AM »
Technically the tires can not extend beyond the fender flairs if the rig is registered in CT.  Since you are military you are protected by the Soilders and Sailors relief Act IF you Jeep is registered outside of CT.  I don't know of anyone that has had a problem with tires sticking out a few inches, but if nailed and you have to have your Jeep inspected and you will have to meet the lift laws which are no more then 3" above stock.  In others words a LOT of work.  It only takes one cop having a bad day.

IMHO, if you want a comp rig, buy a truck and a trailer and tow your Jeep and make it a toy. 

If your planning 38's, what axles are you swaping in? 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 11:46:53 PM »
Your only allowed 3" lifts legally?
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 01:08:50 AM »
Your only allowed 3" lifts legally?

For registration in CT. It all depends on the state. In Michigan there is no height of lift maximum, but there are rules as far as how high the front bumper, rear bumper and center of axle between wheels are from the ground. There are different heights depending on 1/4 ton like Jeeps, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and so on.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 05:15:46 AM »
 for the triming, i'm talking about how far back the fenders have to go, not how wide.  I'm planning on stretching my rear end back 5" to 7" so i can get that magig 105" wheel base.  As far as axles go, stock 35 and 30... Nah i'm just kidding.   Wanna do a D44 in the front and either a D44 or an 8.8 in the rear. fill it with chromemoly and stuff in some lockers. Eventuall when i kill those and save up enough money, i wanna do the Teraflex CDR60's locked front and rear and an teralow 5.61:1 transfercase or a twin stick, depending on how crazy i wanna get with this thing.  As far as the lift laws, and fender flare regs, CT can suck my white A$$, i'll just change my registration to Texas.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

Offline Tsunami

• Rock Crawler
    • Tsunami's facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:49:48 PM »
Technically the tires can not extend beyond the fender flairs if the rig is registered in CT.  Since you are military you are protected by the Soilders and Sailors relief Act IF you Jeep is registered outside of CT.  I don't know of anyone that has had a problem with tires sticking out a few inches, but if nailed and you have to have your Jeep inspected and you will have to meet the lift laws which are no more then 3" above stock.  In others words a LOT of work.  It only takes one cop having a bad day.

IMHO, if you want a comp rig, buy a truck and a trailer and tow your Jeep and make it a toy. 

If your planning 38's, what axles are you swaping in? 
isnt it the tire tread cannot stick out beyond the flare because of track slinging... meaning tread pikin up rocks or anything else and throwing it way up into the air... your tires could possibly be 25 inches wide ad long as the tread stays under the flare... my advice, get bigger flares, however, like kirk said, cop + bad day = ticket, but most of our rigs are rolling around like that, just dont get pulled over
2010 mazdaspeed3

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 02:02:53 AM »
jesus, cant you 2 start your own thread of pointless crap and stop hi jacking ours.  People on the forum, including myself have grown tired of your endless babbling.  I started this thread with question about my rig, not to listen about you two getting drunk, and beating a damned skid plate into place.  Your conversations are what the B.S Thread are for, not my thread, or most of the other threads. So please, and thankyou for no longer hijacking our threads.

wilksp

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 05:14:02 AM »
jesus, cant you 2 start your own thread of pointless crap and stop hi jacking ours.  People on the forum, including myself have grown tired of your endless babbling.  I started this thread with question about my rig, not to listen about you two getting drunk, and beating a damned skid plate into place.  Your conversations are what the B.S Thread are for, not my thread, or most of the other threads. So please, and thankyou for no longer hijacking our threads.

Your thread has been returned.  No more hijacking.

Offline gearhead1985B

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • the Snozberries taste like Snozberries
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 04:34:02 AM »
well i don't know if a comp cut is illegal i just read that the tire must be covered since you are streching the wheel base to ther front or rear if you strech to the rear you will run into the gas tank so you will have to think of a repacement for that so a comp cut being iligal i would say yes but if you had a mud flap to coverit for street use you should be fine but like everyone else said one pissed off cop your screwed
thats my .02

"If you can read this, Thank a Teacher, if you can read it in English, thank a SOLDIER"

https://www.masterpull.com/Index.aspx
http://www.taboocustoms.com/