Author Topic: What do you think of this XJ  (Read 4560 times)

PaulW

Re: What do you think of this XJ
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »
another nice 95  http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1233748002.html

220K and he wants $1400.  I have seen a lot lower miles for a simliar price.  I would really like a 97-99, but the 96 have a lot of improvements over previose years too.  I found a 96 in RI with 123K, but it has some front end damage.  I still might go look at it to see what all it needs.  If it is just sheet metal, it might be a good deal.

i've owned some that had 300 plus miles still ran like day one.  i had a customer at one of my old shops that finally let theirs go at 427k.  so 220 is still a baby lol

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 02:06:10 PM »
Kirk, I ran across this XJ on NAXJA this morning.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1000193

Here's another one that had a cooling problem, but is going cheap and doesn't have a ton of miles.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1245387207.html

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:09:21 PM by calvynandhobbs »
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 12:09:10 AM »
I found this one in west haven.  The motor was just put in last week by the guy who owns the transmission shop in the back ground.  He found an S-10 blazer with a blown tranny and low miles so this one has to go.  It IS 4wd, and the damage is as shown, rusted rockers, dented bumper, busted drivers tail, but the under side is apparently very clean.  The guy said the price is firm, which I think is a good price.  The tires are ok, but should be replaced before winter. 

http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/1247179898.html

1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 02:02:56 PM »
That's not bad for a 98 with a replaced engine with under 100k miles. If you go to look at it pull up a piece of the carpet on either side in the front and see what the floors look like. A lot of Cherokees rust out in the floors because the seals around the doors aren't very good and water leaks under the carpet. Rocker replacement wouldn't be bad and they are cheap through JC Whitney and other places if you don't like the rust.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 01:13:32 AM »
So I called the guy in West Haven with the Black 1998 before I headed down there.  I forgot to ask yesterday, but I asked what year the engine was from.  It turns out it was from a 1996, which may be legal in CT, but not everywhere.  If I move I don't want to have a truck that I can't even register.   I guess in CT they don't check the engine vin against the vehicle vin, but I know some states (CA, AZ, MD and others...)d0 and the engine has to be from the same year or newer. 

I was back on the hunt and found this one: http://providence.craigslist.org/cto/1247842409.html
In short, I offered $1500 and they said OK!!!  I left a $50 deposit and will go pick it up tomorrow with the truck and the trailer.  It is a little rougher then the pictures show, it has some damage on the rear bumper, front bumper, corner of the hood, and a little on the grill.  The driver side seat bracket has a busted weld ( fixable), interior needs to be cleaned.  The inside of the lift gate is missing the panel, the electric lock is on the floor, the rear wiper isn't working and the rear defrosted doesn't work.  The passenger side window doesn't go down.  The valve cover gasket leaks, and the brake fluid is black, the power steering fluid is pretty dark, and the coolant is still the orange color but could be changed.  The oil looks ok, and the tranny fluid is ok, but I will change both.  No check engine light, the underside was undercoated so no rust, no other drips or leaks besides the valve cover.  Three of the tires are BFG long trails with about 75% trad left, and the other is a Good Year that has about 25% tread.  Cold AC, all lights work, everything else looks ok.  It was the cheapest 4wd under 200K I could find for the $$$.  I needs a little TLC, but I am hoping to get a few years out of it.

kbb value for fair condition is $3150, so $1500 is not bad ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 05:33:09 AM by kirksjeep »
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline BlacXJeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • My Webshots
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 01:52:09 AM »
nice grab
Andy Doucette - A.K.A.(Douce)
W.O.J.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 03:13:41 AM »
Those are all pretty small fixes and that XJ should give you a lot of good miles. Nice find.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 02:47:27 PM »
you should get many happy years out of it.  they're great trucks

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 11:38:26 PM »
haha, same thing as mine. same color and everything. mine just has 88k miles on it
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2009, 01:03:38 AM »
haha, same thing as mine. same color and everything. mine just has 88k miles on it

and a $4500 balance on the loan..

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2009, 02:53:38 AM »
true. next time im just gonna buy 1 thats already lifted and everything because apparently they're alot cheaper that way.
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2009, 02:55:57 AM »
true. next time im just gonna buy 1 thats already lifted and everything because apparently they're alot cheaper that way.

wise idea glad you are learning, now snatch the grasshopper from my hand pebble.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2009, 03:00:18 AM »
I picked up my "New" XJ today and I started really looking it over.  The only "surprise" is that both front U-joints need to be replaced.  Not very $$$ but time intensive.  As a good surprise the battery was purchsed in Aug of 07 and is a 7 year battery!!!  I will be changing all the fluids, spark plugs, etc...over the next few days.  After that I will start cleaning the interior and installing the stereo.

I need to find some time to put the TJ head pipe on the YJ too.  I might just move into the garage over the weekend.  :)
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2009, 03:29:44 AM »
I picked up my "New" XJ today and I started really looking it over.  The only "surprise" is that both front U-joints need to be replaced.  Not very $$$ but time intensive.  As a good surprise the battery was purchsed in Aug of 07 and is a 7 year battery!!!  I will be changing all the fluids, spark plugs, etc...over the next few days.  After that I will start cleaning the interior and installing the stereo.

I need to find some time to put the TJ head pipe on the YJ too.  I might just move into the garage over the weekend.  :)

put the ac in the garage window and go to town.  i did for my evap core, but didn't even need the ac.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2009, 04:50:12 AM »

put the ac in the garage window and go to town.  i did for my evap core, but didn't even need the ac.
My Big Garage doesn't have any windows and I'm not moving all my tools back to the attached Garage.  I could always cut a AC size hole in the side of it. ;)
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT