Author Topic: Crushed control arm bracket.  (Read 2567 times)

Offline TJ777

• Trail Queen
Crushed control arm bracket.
« on: June 26, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »
Yep when we went out last weekend I just now noticed I crushed my lower control arm bracket the one under the axle on the drivers side. I know I need to remove the whole axle and grid the bracket order new stronger one and weld them on.

PaulW

Re: Crushed control arm bracket.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
Yep when we went out last weekend I just now noticed I crushed my lower control arm bracket the one under the axle on the drivers side. I know I need to remove the whole axle and grid the bracket order new stronger one and weld them on.

it can be done with the axle in the truck

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 03:23:12 PM »
Gearhead has that XJ that he is dismantling next Friday at the hobby shop and XJs share the same control arms with TJs. You could use some parts off that XJ to sleeve and strengthen your current arms if you don't want to invest much money into your TJ right now.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »
Gearhead has that XJ that he is dismantling next Friday at the hobby shop and XJs share the same control arms with TJs. You could use some parts off that XJ to sleeve and strengthen your current arms if you don't want to invest much money into your TJ right now.
the xj may have a different gear ratio and may be a different f/end.  the dana 30's were high pinion, low pinion, tj's low pinion was a shorter length shaft then the xj low pinion, and the xj high pinion was reverse cut gears.  be careful if your going to swap the housing without checking them 1st.  at least make sure the gear ratio is the same.  or just weld on some new brackets. 

Offline TJ777

• Trail Queen
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 04:01:11 PM »
Its not the control arm its self its just the 2 brackets that the lower arm bolts into that is crushed. If there is anyone with the same front axle I would be interested in that as well seeing as my front diff was full of mudd and I still havent opened it to check it out.

gearhead1985

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 03:31:21 AM »
the axel i got has 3.55's and let me know what you want

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 03:43:44 PM »
I read it wrong the first time. I thought it was the lower control arm. The bracket is flimsy on all of these D30 axles and you probably need the same upgrade that Paul did for Doug on his XJ. You could get the lower controls arms off of the XJ and cut the ends off. You could weld one inside the other to strengthen it. I've seen guys do that in the past when they wanted the extra strength, but weren't worried about extended them at all.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
I read it wrong the first time. I thought it was the lower control arm. The bracket is flimsy on all of these D30 axles and you probably need the same upgrade that Paul did for Doug on his XJ. You could get the lower controls arms off of the XJ and cut the ends off. You could weld one inside the other to strengthen it. I've seen guys do that in the past when they wanted the extra strength, but weren't worried about extended them at all.

it really is an easy upgrade, just make sure your control arm isn't bent so you can weld the bracket on straight lol.

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »
or that your garage has enough power for the welder
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 06:48:37 PM »
you mean that your breaker can support the welder??

Offline reptile610

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »
yes ;D
1982 CJ7-stock

Owning a CJ is for manly men, they allows you to do manly stuff like auto mechanics and welding and drinking beer. Manly men own CJs. Manly men do not drive hummers, they receive them.

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 03:55:34 AM »
yes ;D

you shoulda just held the breaker :D

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 03:10:36 AM »
if i remeber correctly i think justin bent his up at btc a while back.
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

PaulW

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 03:15:32 AM »
it doesn't take muck to break/bend them.  the factory control arm mounts arent thick enough to handle the stress we put through them as wheelers.  but the aftermarket ones are really easy to install.  with proper equipment you can have the whole project done in 3-4 hours.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »
Before you attempt yo make this repair take this piece of advice ;). Do it right the first time!!! I can't stress it enough, don't half ass it by keeping the axle on the truck to weld it in. Take the axle down, line it up properly, measure twice and then weld it. The axle at full droop(truck jacked up so you can remove the current, bent control arm), or the truck sitting on the ground with a control arm removed may not allow the axle to sit exactly as it should to just line up the bracket. It's been my expierence that important installations such as control arm brackets require precise placement. And there are a couple guys in the club that can vouch for this advice...as I did their axle brackets! And if you're going to replace one bracket, just replace them all at once. Besides, the brackets should come in sets, not singles. Just my .02