Author Topic: Aussie Install  (Read 1644 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Aussie Install
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:40:26 AM »
My Aussie for the 8.8 showed up today.  The instructions were typical, not great, but not bad.  I found a good write up a few nights ago and it helped, http://rockmodified.com/Tech/aussie/aussie1.htm

The passenger side disc did not want to come off of the end of the shaft, but with a little pushing and pulling it came off.  The spider gears came out with out a problem, just pulled the center shaft and rotated the axle shafts.  The new cam gears went right in, and all tolerance specs were on the tight side, so I was happy to see that.  The main gears went right in, but the instructions for how to install the right side C-clip was a little vague, but I managed to get it in without cussing too much.  I read a lot about how the springs can be a PITA, but with 2 small flat head screw drivers I got three of the four in on the first try, and one took two tries.  When I got done I tries the spin test, and I did manage to get it to click twice, but a lot of what I read, it takes a turn or two to get it to click the correct way so I am not too concerned about it.  I still have to install the diff cover and fill it up, but that should only take a few minutes.  I only spent about 2 hours to get it installed, and if I did it again I could do it in 1.5 hours easy. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Aussie Install
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 01:53:25 AM »
That's great Kirk. You'll really enjoy that locker when wheelin Saturday. I've never installed an Aussie before, but I can't imagine it would be much different from the Trac-Locs that I've installed in one of my CJs and the one that is in that D35 over at your place. I had a mini-spool in my CJ7 with the D44 and it was a really easy install.

While I'm over at your place tomorrow I want to try unscrewing those rear brake lines a little bit and then reseating them. I've got a little bit of seapage around the distribution block on the rear axle, even after putting the correct vent bolt in it.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 03:22:52 AM »
No problem.  WHile I was out in the garage tonight I noticed your oil pan out there.  Depending on the weather and how much I can get done tomorrow, I might make a dump run, and if I do, I'll empty it for you. 

For the tires, where taking the BFG MT off your spare rim and mounting the BFT AT back on.  Are we mounting the MFG MT back onto anything for Brad? 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 03:41:08 AM »
Brad said that he does have a wheel to put it on so I'm guessing that he'll bring it with him tomorrow when we meet over there. I'll send him a pm and find out what time he wants to meet at your place. I'm thinking around 1800 or 1830 so we can get the tires changed around and I can do that little work on my brakelines before that guy shows up to buy the axle at 1930.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 04:28:22 AM »
Sounds Like a Plan ;)
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 01:19:37 AM »
So the Aussie test is complete, and I LOVE IT.  It worked amazing on Saturday.  I still haven't reached the 200 mile break in period, but I can tell it is getting better, it ratchets in the turn much easier now, and I barley even know it is there.  Well worth the $$.  I was able to crawl over stuff with a lot less skinny pedal, so in theory it might help me save breaking other stuff.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
Good deal.  I've heard a lot of people say good things about the Aussie, especially for the price.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »
So the Aussie test is complete, and I LOVE IT.  It worked amazing on Saturday.  I still haven't reached the 200 mile break in period, but I can tell it is getting better, it ratchets in the turn much easier now, and I barley even know it is there.  Well worth the $$.  I was able to crawl over stuff with a lot less skinny pedal, so in theory it might help me save breaking other stuff.

ditto. other than my rear axle/locker, best $ i've spent on my rig.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:12:06 PM by BayouGold »
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 03:13:40 PM »

ditto. other than my rear axle/locker, best $ i've spent on my rig.

how do you like the aussie??  i've used powertrax in the past with mixed results.