Author Topic: TJ Tie Rod repair/upgrade  (Read 3768 times)

PaulW

Re: TJ Tie Rod repair/upgrade
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 10:49:02 PM »

That's A LOT of toe out :P.  I've used box tubing instead of round tubing.  you can get it in pretty much any wall thickness you need.  I just slip it over the adjuster sleeve, weld the ends, set the toe with the tape measure and call it a day.

Box tubing isn't as strong as round tube of the same wall thickness, same reason why it is used for roll cages and custom buggies.   Having a Mechanical Enginnering Degree has proved usefull in my automotive hobies ;D. If you are going to build one, there are plenty of wirte ups on using Chevy tie rod ends and reaming the knuckles.  I priced it out and it would cost about $150 for the tube, tube inserts, lock nuts and the tie rod ends.  The problem is the reaming tool is very specialized and runs about $100.  The "good" is that it is easy to get parts for since it is just stock Chevy tie rods.

For most TJ, XJ guys the V8 ZJ set up would be more then strong enough, just look how Justin wheeled " Big Yellar" with 37's, and his held up.  Keep an eye out on craiglist for a part out of a ZJ. 
[/quote]

maybe i'll just switch the tie rods from my zj to my xj then.  free upgrade since the xj is going to be the beater.