Author Topic: Track Bar Disconnect  (Read 932 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Track Bar Disconnect
« on: April 18, 2009, 05:07:33 AM »
I know there are not a lot of YJ guys out there, but I'll post up my newest creation anyway. 

Background:  The track bar on the YJ is not necessary as on a TJ since the leaf springs keep the axle from shifting side to side, and a lot of guys seem the ditch them.  A YJ with out a track bar will notice more body lean in turns and a slight floating feeling when hitting high speed bumps.  The down side of the track bar is that it limits axle flex and according the the company that makes the telescoping track bar, a stock track bar can limit flex up to 31% (kind of an odd number if you ask me).  The telescoping track bar is a great idea, but I have better things to spend $211 on. 

My solution was to make a quick disconnect track bar.  I pulled the bolt out that connects the track bar to the axle, and headed to Home Depot.  I picked up a 1/2" x2 1/2" clevis pin ( pin with several holes for a pin to go through), a pull pin, and 2 washers.  When I got home I found that the clevis pis was a little thick so I made it a little narrower with the grinder.  Once I got it to fit I realized that I should I bought the 3" long clevis pin, but I could make this one work.  I drilled of one of the washers with a step bit until it was just a little smaller then the head end of the clevis pin.  I then used a hammer to make the washer slide on the head of the clevis pin, and then welded the washer to the pin.  To keep anything from rattleing, I put a felt washer normally used on battery post on the pin, slid it into tack bar mount and track bar, put a washer on the outside and then slid in the pull pin.  It is a tight fit, but I can do it with out tools and no rattles.  I still need to come up with a way of keeping the track bar up out of the way when disconnected, but I could use a bunggie cord until I think of something better.  ;)
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

Re: Track Bar Disconnect
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:46:18 PM »
cool

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Track Bar Disconnect
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 03:23:51 PM »
Great idea Kirk. I removed or didn't have the track bar to begin with on all 3 of my CJ7s and you are right in that they did lean and float a little bit.
1994 YJ on 37s