Author Topic: Don't pass on Moving Truck Insurance!!!!  (Read 7067 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Don't pass on Moving Truck Insurance!!!!
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:06:30 PM »
I helped a friend of mine move last Saturday and he rented a a 19ft truck to move from Base housing to Mystic.  I took my truck, which I hardly ever drive, and only one nice days.  After we moved all his stuff into his house we had to go pick up a couch in Groton.  On the way back he was trying to pull in front of my truck, but cut it short and took out my drivers side fender, mirror, turn signal, cracked the grill and put a few chips in the bumper and the hood. :'(  He called USAA which we both have and reported the accident.

Today I went and had the estimate done per USAA's request, $2923.95!!!!!  USAA told me they were going to hold off on authorizing the repair for a couple days until they figure out if they are going to pay for it, or the truck company is going to pay for it.  I called my friend who hit my truck and told him what USAA was telling me just to give him a heads up.  He told me that USAA might not cover it since the moving trucks pay load was greater than 2000 lbs. ???  He didn't take the full coverage insurance when he rented the truck because he thought USAA would cover him.  He offered to pay for the damage out of pocket until I told him what the estimate was.  He assured me that if both USAA and the moving truck insurance refuse to pay he will pay for all the damages.

Lesson learned, call your insurance company before renting a truck and see if you are covered, and if not, you should really consider the extra coverage from the truck company.  Saving the couple of bucks for the optional coverage may cost him $2923.95 plus any additional damages on the moving truck, which we couldn't see any.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

Re: Don't pass on Moving Truck Insurance!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:24:23 PM »
DOH!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »
wow!  and I have always turned it down :(
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:37:47 PM »
good to know i will be in that situation soon.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 01:19:27 AM »
Sorry to hear about that Kirk! Just something to think about, if you have USAA fix it, your collector Harley truck will have a CarFax report on it. Not necessarily good for potential resale value (should you ever decide to). Just my .02.  :-\

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 04:24:41 AM »
Man that sucks for both of you. :(
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 06:51:18 PM »
I dropped my truck off on Friday at Whaling City Ford in NL to get fixed.  After fighting for a rental car with Penske rental trucks they authorized a SUV.  I got a Nissan Xterra from Enterprise, so I was pretty happy.  Later that night I was on my way to Providence for a hockey game, and I had a the drivers side front tire blow right off the rim.  I got to the side of the road and in the rain I changed the tire.  >:( We missed the first period, but we made it.  On the way home, the Nissan starting running really rough and it started making a horrible squeaking noise in the back.   ??? I called Enterprise and they had ZERO SUVs in all of CT!!!  I ended up getting a Toyota RAV4 POS and a free tank of gas >:( >:(  Enterprise is going to try and get me something better tomorrow, but what a pain in the a$$. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I dropped my truck off on Friday at Whaling City Ford in NL to get fixed.  After fighting for a rental car with Penske rental trucks they authorized a SUV.  I got a Nissan Xterra from Enterprise, so I was pretty happy.  Later that night I was on my way to Providence for a hockey game, and I had a the drivers side front tire blow right off the rim.  I got to the side of the road and in the rain I changed the tire.  >:( We missed the first period, but we made it.  On the way home, the Nissan starting running really rough and it started making a horrible squeaking noise in the back.   ??? I called Enterprise and they had ZERO SUVs in all of CT!!!  I ended up getting a Toyota RAV4 POS and a free tank of gas >:( >:(  Enterprise is going to try and get me something better tomorrow, but what a pain in the a$$. 

shoulda driven the xterra till it blew  :o

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 07:22:58 PM »

I ended did a LOT better than an Xterra or the RAV4.  I called the help desk and they set me up with a Hummer H3!!! ;D  Plus I asked to not fill up the tank on the RAV4 when I returned it for compensation for my inconvenience and they said ok again. ;)  I managed to get almost 2 full tanks of gas for free.  Enterprise went above and beyond to help me out.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 10:24:05 PM »
I've had good luck with Enterprise rentals. Glad they are taking care of ya.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 02:04:06 AM »
I called the help desk and they set me up with a Hummer H3!!! ;D 

TRAITOR!!!   >:(  Is it parked in your driveway?  Bigyeller's hungry!   ;D
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »
I called the help desk and they set me up with a Hummer H3!!! ;D 

TRAITOR!!!   >:(  Is it parked in your driveway?  Bigyeller's hungry!   ;D

How's it wheel  :) ;D

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 05:19:42 PM »
I've never been in an H3, but when we went on a family vacation to Hawaii we rented an H2 and it wheeled pretty good. I went into the jungle area and found where Jurassic Park was filmed. It was a little top heavy when I got into a couple hill climbs though. When I returned it the floors were soaked with red clay and water.

1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »
Bigyeller's hungry!   ;D

LOL...He won't tell everyone, a Hummer Enthusiast(R.I.P.)  saved Big Yeller's ass on OFR a while back! Sorry Justin...couldn't resist!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »
She doesn't like to talk about it.  :-[
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!