Author Topic: new creature  (Read 1438 times)

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
new creature
« on: March 20, 2009, 02:47:49 AM »
got a bearded dragon today. we have two geckos in my shop & my snake died a while back. did a little research on these & they look pretty cool. anybody ever have one of these?

'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: new creature
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:21:23 AM »
Hey Geoff, I used to breed them.  They are an awesome little lizard.

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 04:23:51 AM »
what'd you feed them steve? i was looking on youtube & it seems they'll eat whatever doesn't eat them! live mice,geckos,roaches,dwarf hamsters you name it. did you have to handle them a lot to keep them docile?

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:38:03 AM »
Hey Geoff, I used to breed them.  They are an awesome little lizard.

Umm, I have one, and he is almost 18"... Not really a "little lizard". He is pretty cool though. He eats crickets, meal worms, super worms, and now that he is older, he eats more veggies, like broccolli, corn, carrots, peas. He is an eating machine. We dump in 30 large crickets and it is like watching Godzilla ransack tokyo. I would definitely reccomend frequent handling. Just like any other animal (hamster, snake, guinea pig) the more you handle it, the more used to being handled it will be. I have never heard of mice and what-not being fed to them, but everything my wife and I read (and she used to be the pet-care manager at Petsmart, which is where ours came from) says that by the time they are old enough to be eating that size of prey, they should be eating less of the crickets and worms and such and more veggies. Just my $.02, but we have had ours for about 2 years an he is still going strong.

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 04:44:07 AM »
i've had 4 snakes over the years, & fed them live mice,rats & large hamsters but like you said wouldn't have thought of feeding one of these guys anything like that. look on youtube though. they just pounce on it & gulp it down. crazy. like a little dinosaur. 8)

Offline footman

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 04:45:41 AM »
pinky mice are cool to watch them gobble up.  All depends on how big yours is.  

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
We also added some pets to our family.  Last week myself and the wife bought two aquatic turtles.  Interesting little fellas  Cool as hell watching them eat live food.
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 02:32:53 AM »
thats cool, i've always wanted a reptile (other than the ones i caught in the yard.  they wouldn't eat)
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

PaulW

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 05:20:46 AM »
My wife goes balastic every time i bring something new home.  You should have seen her freak when i got my python.  5 Years and 4 feet later he's eating rabbits now at someone elses home.  LOL