Author Topic: Anybody know how to repack a wheel bearing?  (Read 2241 times)

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
Anybody know how to repack a wheel bearing?
« on: February 03, 2009, 06:39:16 AM »
I need some help with a wheel bearing if anyone could help. I'm a little low on funds so any help would be greatly appriciated.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: Anybody know how to repack a wheel bearing?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:18:25 AM »
pull the wheel off, pull out the bearing, clean it throughaly, fill w/ grease, re-assemble!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »
I thought the ZJs were wheel bearing units like TJs and XJs and you replace the entire assembly. They aren't meant to be repacked. I've heard that it can be done, but you have a press to be able to put them back together.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:56:47 PM »
I thought the ZJs were wheel bearing units like TJs and XJs and you replace the entire assembly. They aren't meant to be repacked. I've heard that it can be done, but you have a press to be able to put them back together.

X2
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 02:52:19 PM »

X2

Napa used to sell just the bearing without the hub, and you could press the bearing into the hub, but those never last.  your going to have to spend the 150 and buy the entire hub.

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 06:16:36 PM »
damn.

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »
I bought mine at Autozone and I think it was around $100. They are easy to change out as long as you hit the bolts on the back side with some PB Blaster or something before hand. It is also a good time to check your axle ujoint since the axle shaft almost always comes out with the wheel bearing unit.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:39:03 PM »
damn.

If you need help, let me know.  I recently changed out my front hubs and ball joints.  I used National parts (MOOG) all around.  Good quality stuff, but a little more expensive.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 11:49:47 PM »
I have a used hub out of a 98 XJ that I'll sell for $20.  The bearing seem to be in good shape.  It was pulled out of a wrecked XJ with 60K miles.  I only wanted the shaft, but I didn't have a 36mm socket so I had to buy the whole thing.  They charged me $20 for the hub, but I don't need it, and I don't think it fits my YJ anyway.  If you can figure out if it fits your ZJ and you want it let me know.  I still need to pull the shaft off, but thats no big deal.  It's for the passenger side.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 12:05:15 AM »
I just checked the Autozone website and they list the same wheel bearing hub assembly part number for a 97 Grand Cherokee with V8 and 98 Cherokee 4x4 with the 4.0. I have a 36mm hub socket you can borrow also if you need it.
1994 YJ on 37s

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:13:37 AM »
I have a used hub out of a 98 XJ that I'll sell for $20.  The bearing seem to be in good shape.  It was pulled out of a wrecked XJ with 60K miles.  I only wanted the shaft, but I didn't have a 36mm socket so I had to buy the whole thing.  They charged me $20 for the hub, but I don't need it, and I don't think it fits my YJ anyway.  If you can figure out if it fits your ZJ and you want it let me know.  I still need to pull the shaft off, but thats no big deal.  It's for the passenger side.

It's the same style of bearing but there was a year split.  I can't remember what year it was but the depth of the bearing changed like 1/2" I may be wrong though.  Go to NAPAONLINE.COM and search they'll let ya know.

Offline zjorvis97

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 04:59:02 AM »
thanks for the info. Not sure when i am going to do it. Its not too bad yet, just a little bit of vibration at higher speeds and winding going slow.

PaulW

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 02:20:55 AM »
thanks for the info. Not sure when i am going to do it. Its not too bad yet, just a little bit of vibration at higher speeds and winding going slow.

u have about 800 miles if your lucky before it possibly comes apart.