Author Topic: Virgin TJ issues....  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
Virgin TJ issues....
« on: February 01, 2009, 02:59:07 PM »
Ok guys,
Here's one for you to nuke out. Virgin 97 TJ, bone stock with 31 all terrains. driving is true, but on acceleration there is a consistent grind at low speed and whine at high speed. I'm hoping it's not what I think it might be.... but any insight would be great.
Thanks round-eyes!
GT
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Virgin TJ issues....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 03:40:17 PM »
How many miles? Where does the noise seem to be coming from? Could it be a wheel bearing? Wheel bearings will have a lower toned grinding sound at lower speeds and then the pitch will increase as speed increases.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »
That, or it could be a ujoint for the front axle or one of your driveshafts.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 06:37:11 PM »
When the guy told me about it, I thought it might be a wheel bearing... but when I drove it it showed no signs of wheel bearing. I thought it might be u joint, but they seem good. no play in them at all... they are non-greasable. Next saturday, I'm going to give it a once over, Transfer case, tranny, pull the u-joints and slap some grease in there see what happens. I have seen where a ring/pinion setup incorrectly gives the same indications, but it was fine when he shipped it so I'm not too concerned with the diff. I plan on checking the fluid in there too though. Thanks for the input.
GT
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

PaulW

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 03:31:20 AM »
It's too hard to diagnosis of a keyboard.  Someone would have to look at it in person.  Does the sound increase/decrease when you turn corners??

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:25:13 PM »
When I did an oil change at Sears, I had them check the diff fluid. They didn't put the plug back in the rear correctly, and it fell out somewhere, and inevitably, I didn't find it until I was giving the underside a once over AFTER wheeling in ddep water. I took it back to Sears and they refilled the gear oil and put in a new plug. After time, I started hearing something like what you are explaining. I took it to the dealer (it was under warranty, obviously before I lifted it), and they said it looked like the rear diff was full of water, They fixed it under the warranty, but that is what caused my problem.

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:38:02 PM »
Thanks sandbox,
I understand how hard it is to diagnose a keyboard. I don't normally come here for that reason.... I am normally the one asked the questions. This one is different for some reason. Like I said before it grinds at low speed and whines at high. I'll check the Diff fluid. That was the other thing I was thinking. I have heard the whine just before a diff blows up, or when the backlash isn't set right. This doesn't sound the same. There is no difference when you make a turn, it shifts into 4h and 4l just fine. everything works as it should, with the exception of the "mystery noise"
Thanks for the help
GT

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 02:17:12 AM »
Shoot me a pm we'll see if we can set up a time for me to look at it for ya.

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 02:18:16 AM »
He's in Italy...
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

PaulW

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 02:19:06 AM »
He's in Italy...

We'll then i guess it'll be a long wait.

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:38 PM »
Yeah it's a little long for my taste,
Anyway I tore into it yesterday and come to find a very neglected drivetrain. Transfer case was about 1 quart lower on ATF +3, which you can't buy here. so I just used high mileage. The diff fluid looked good but when I pulled the drums I found that the D/Side outter bearing on the rear was to blame. now onto ordering the parts and getting him squared away.

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 03:03:56 PM »
As long as you get er done!