Author Topic: sye kit install  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
sye kit install
« on: January 11, 2009, 04:10:56 AM »
I will be getting one soon hopefully.  But, when i do get it, how hard is this little endeavor. I'm no pro, but i do know my way around a shop (plus i slept in a holiday in express three nights ago). Is this the type of upgrade i do in the hoby shop on base bymyself, or....  and if i do have to take it somewhere, where is a good place?
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Re: sye kit install
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 04:56:26 AM »
I would send a sweet pm to One-Eye, and ask/beg for his help.  He has done a couple sye kits and knows his way around an NP-231 quite well.  He also has step by step instructions with color pictures.  There is also Pete at CT-Axle Service.  He has done a lot of work for the club, including myself.  Good work, best prices in ct.  The only problem is he is in Ellington, about an hour and a half from here.

www.ctaxleservice.com
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 05:11:17 AM »
You can also talk to Kirk (kirksjeep). He recently put a SYE in his YJ.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 05:46:29 AM »
You can also talk to Kirk (kirksjeep). He recently put a SYE in his YJ.

Oh yeah...  He did, didn't he.   ::)
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 05:34:46 PM »
As Axle mentioned, I also had Pete(Ct.Axle) do mine. I stood over his shoulder & watched the whole time & it really didn't seem all that hard. Of course I was WATCHING a professional do it!
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 07:05:23 PM »
Sye's are rather easy.  I've dove so far into a 231 as to change the input shaft in mime so i could make it fit.  The tailshaft is a hell of a lot easier to remove.  Let me know if yo u want some help.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »
I did mine a few months ago.  It is not a hard job at all.  I definitly recomend pulling the transfercase out of the Jeep to do it.  Some say it can be done while it is still in the Jeep, but I don't know how.  From start to finish it took me 2 football games on a Sunday including a trip to Autozone (round trip from my house is 45 min).  There are a lot of good write ups online, including a video by a guy who did it while it was still in his Jeep, but I don't remeber where, best bet is to just Google it.  Heavy duty snap ring pliers are a must.  I made the mistake of using a cheap pair thinking they would do the job but I just bent them up with the thick snap rings.  I bought a pair from Autozone for about $15.  The only "scary" part of the job was cutting the end off of the shifter rod.  Some intalls don't require this, but I had to cut about an inch off of the end of mine where it slides into the tail housing.  Let me know if you have questions.

By the way check out http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/  in the vendor section for good deals on these.  I have seen them sell for $175 including shipping, sometime cheaper.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:09:50 PM »
i install them with the case in the jeep.  but when you have a vehicle lift and full set of snap-on tools it's easy

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 06:03:04 AM »
Here is a link to the cheaqpest deal I have seen in a while:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680506
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:16:32 PM »
I have done a couple, on in and one out of the jeep (both TJ's) it was pretty easy both ways. Also, I am on leave until the 23rd (although I will be out of town this coming weekend), so if you get it before then, I can lend a hand.

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 06:15:22 PM »
well `i found a kit through rustysoffroad.com with the A/A SYE and tom woods drive shaft. $480.00 +S/H.  is that an ok price.  plus, with a 4 inch lift am i gonna have to shim the rear end or anything like that?  And do i need to measure the length or the shaft or anything? hit me back. ???
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

PaulW

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 06:53:12 PM »
well `i found a kit through rustysoffroad.com with the A/A SYE and tom woods drive shaft. $480.00 +S/H.  is that an ok price.  plus, with a 4 inch lift am i gonna have to shim the rear end or anything like that?  And do i need to measure the length or the shaft or anything? hit me back. ???

nah with the sye and cv shaft you should be ok.

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »
If they are seeling it as a kit, no measurments are needed.  They just figure out the average for a lift height and build the drive shafts to that average.  You will probably need to adjust your pinion angle with your control arms.  On a YJ the optimum set up is to have the pinion 2 degrees steepr then the drive shaft so that under acceleration it levels out.  I would imagine a TJ is the same, but I'll let the TJ guys chim in for confirmation.  I just bought a cheap ( under $5 ) magnetic base to get everyting in spec.  Just remeber to do all your measurments with the tires on the ground and your nomal load in the truck.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 11:42:34 PM »
If they are seeling it as a kit, no measurments are needed.  They just figure out the average for a lift height and build the drive shafts to that average.  You will probably need to adjust your pinion angle with your control arms.  On a YJ the optimum set up is to have the pinion 2 degrees steepr then the drive shaft so that under acceleration it levels out.  I would imagine a TJ is the same, but I'll let the TJ guys chim in for confirmation.  I just bought a cheap ( under $5 ) magnetic base to get everyting in spec.  Just remeber to do all your measurments with the tires on the ground and your nomal load in the truck.

good advice.

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 03:05:43 AM »
When I lifted Axles TJ, I was told by RockKrawler, Tom Woods, and JB Conversions that the rear pinion angle is supposed to be zero with the jeep sitting level. As long as you have adjustable control arms, it is easy. All you need is an angle finder to match up the pinion and drive-shaft angles.