Author Topic: Axle Swaps or Snow???  (Read 1411 times)

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Axle Swaps or Snow???
« on: December 19, 2008, 03:29:55 AM »
It figures that the weekend I plan on my Axle swaps we are going to get slammed with snow. :(  I can always run around to get parts in the wifes Liberty, but only if she is here and not out shopping or "crap-booking" or something. 

I got started this afternoon by cleaning up the Dana 30 ( From a 95 YJ w/ bigger u-joints and 4:10 gears).  I gave everything a couple of coats rustoleum rust converter, but it didn't have much rust at all.  I also started the 8.8 prep ( LSD and 4:10 gears).  I took off the sway bar, emergency brake lines (they were cut off), the bard and soft brake lines, calipers, and discs.  I cut off the sway bar mounts, and ground down the left over welds.  I also started welding the tubes to the housing.  I was only welding about an inch at a time, on wither tube and then letting it cool before rotating the axle and welding  another inch.  I cleaned the tube and housing area with a flap disc, I then heated the cast housing with a torch until warm to the touch  (about 10 seconds) and then I welded.  Welding cast steel is a PITA.  Hopefully it will be strong enough to hold.  Next step is to cut off the spring mounts, and cut the shock tabs off of the spring plates. 

I also put my heater back in the garage so I should be able to work all weekend. ;D
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

Re: Axle Swaps or Snow???
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 08:08:23 PM »
what's a heater??  lol

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:48:34 PM »
Having snow is tempting to put off the project, but at least you're getting started. We have a ton of snow in Michigan right now. I made it to the house around 5am Friday morning after leaving Groton at 1435 Thursday afternoon. I had complete white-out conditions the last two hours of my drive and could only go about 45mph while covering both lanes of the road. Hopefully I'll start doing the work on my XJ later today or tomorrow.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 03:41:54 AM »
Made some good progress between dropping my daughter off at school and running my brother around.  The old front axle it out, the new front axle is ready to go in.  I am going to paint the tie rod and steering stabilizer while they are out, and give the calipers a couple of coats of brake paint.  The 8.8 is standing by ready to be mocked up.  All the brackets have been grounded off and the tubes are now welded to the housing.  I managed to not cut up the leaf spring mounts from the 8.8 so I can re-use them on the swap.  I put a few gashed in the housing trying to grind the brackets off, but I fill them with some welding wire and then ground everything smooth.  I'm going to try and get the new front axle in tomorrow, and hopefully get the Dana 35 out. 
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 09:52:47 PM »
So this project is going a little slower then I would have liked, but hopefully it will be worth it.  I decided to take my time and clean all the rust off and give everything a fresh coat of paint while it is assessable.  With my original Dana 30 out I now have 4 axles taking up space in my garage.  I at least had a guy call me back about buying one of the tires I have out there, so I will have a little more space soon.  Once I get everything painted for the front end, I am going to stop for the day.  Just taking a break now, so time to get back to work.
2013 Explorer Sport
1988 Honda Hawk GT

PaulW

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »