Author Topic: SYE and CV  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Swagger

• Rock Crawler
SYE and CV
« on: December 08, 2008, 12:37:23 AM »
So, very very shortly after the holidays,  i will be in a financial position, to finally buy one.  Anybody have any ideas of some good places to go, good brands, new or rebuilt items, good prices?  Whatever crap ya'll got, through it at me.  i need some good ideas for that.
FOR SALE:  2000 TJ with some stuff and uber low mileage.  $9500 obo. Come to Texas and buy my junk!!!

I like to smash things!!!!

Offline kirksjeep

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • It's hip to be square (headlights) !
Re: SYE and CV
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 01:26:57 AM »
Look on http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/  in the vendor section.  I have seen them offer new SYE for $175 shipped.  Also try Ebay.  If you are patient you can score some good deals.  I picked up a  Advanced Adaptors SYE on ebay for $165 shipped and a new Tom Woods CV drive shaft on forum for $185.  So for $350 I got both.  Not sure what lift you have, but with my YJ and a 4 1/2 inch lift, after I installed everything I was getting some bad vibrations over 20 mph.  I had to add some 6 degree shims ( had 2 1/2 degree from my lift kit) , but now it works great.  When I swap in the 8.8 I am going to angle the axle and do away with the shims.   Once you get your parts let me know.  I have a set of HD snap ring pliers that make the job much easier.
1992 YJ Sahara, 4.5 Rubicon Express ED Lift, 35" BFG MT, Custom Bumpers, SYE/CV Drive Shaft, OBA, Ford 8.8 rear, 4.10 gears, tie rod flip, 1"MML/BL
2002 KJ Liberty, 2" Lift, 31" tires/DD
2002 F-150 Harley Davidson 5.4L SC
2013 Explorer Sport
2006 Harley Road King Classic
1988 Honda Hawk GT

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
Re: SYE and CV
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 02:24:37 AM »
When I built my TJ, I got the JB conversions super short SYE. It is about 3" shorter than any of the others, which means your driveshaft can be that much longer and help your angles out. You are working with a TJ too if I remember right, so you don't have to worry about the shims and whatnot, just make sure your control arms are adjusted to the right length so you have 0 +/- 1 degrees of pinion angle and driveline vibration shouldn't be a problem.