Author Topic: New Rear Bumper  (Read 2649 times)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
New Rear Bumper
« on: November 26, 2008, 04:12:21 AM »
Well, its finally done and installed!  All expcept back up lights (go on tomorrow).  Enjoy the pics here, but go to my webshots page to see the entire build!

From this:

To this:

And because of the extra lenght, this is what I had to do to fit in my garage!

1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline BayouGold

• Rock Crawler
Re: New Rear Bumper
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 04:46:02 AM »
 that's funny! looks good too! :D
'01 TJ 60th Anniversary Edition

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »
that sure is a souper bumper jeremy. good job Scott.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Yeah she's fast...Terrible in the rocks I'm sure!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 03:04:59 PM »
It wasn't as pretty until it came back from powdercoat. It looked too nice to eventually drag across rocks. Thanks though!

My next project someday:

<<----Click for a larger view
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:14:19 PM by Seabee_BUC »

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »
That looks great. Scott, when are you going to help me build one for my XJ? ;)
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 06:05:10 PM »
Very nice, Scott.  It looks great on there, Jeremy.  ;)
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
Sweet bumper, but to be honest, I have never been a fan of a swing-away on a pick-up, but that is just my preference. Looks preetty good though.

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 02:24:58 AM »
That looks great. Scott, when are you going to help me build one for my XJ? ;)
We had a lot of fun building it. It went fast though because he had the time to be at the shop for 10 days straight for at least 3-5 hours. I'm not against doing another as we would employ a few more things that we may have done different on the next one but if I have to do it all myself, its going to take a while! All in all, I think Jeremy has about $400 into all the steel, wire and gas for the welder, hinge and bearing assembly, the receiver itself, misc. hardware, and the 3 cases of Sam Adams for the fantastic powdercoating (which is NOT always going to be available) we got hooked up with. That's not counting the 50+ hours of time alone.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 03:23:43 AM »
you,

jeremy,

50 hours and 3 cases of beer,

that is just gross.

(i just puked in my mouth)

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 03:30:55 AM »
Are you advocating for buying aftermarket? And that the perk to doing it yourself is the feeling of accomplishment? I'm not sure running cost on Taco bumpers. I know for jeeps, to get all that is about 650.
Living in Preston. Call me if you're going wheeling!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 03:34:54 AM »
This would have cost me well over $1,000 to buy aftermarket.  I could have gotten a basic tube bumper for less, but I don't like tube bumpers on tacos.
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 03:38:47 AM »
$1000?  :o yeah... good job building one!!  ;D

Offline Seabee_BUC

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »
Are you advocating for buying aftermarket? And that the perk to doing it yourself is the feeling of accomplishment? I'm not sure running cost on Taco bumpers. I know for jeeps, to get all that is about 650.

Not at all. I was merely saying that the reason it turned out so well was because Jeremy and I spent the necessary time doing exactly what was needed until it was done. He could commit the time because he doesn't start his new job until January. It would take considerably longer if I had to build one alone, for someone else.

This would have cost me well over $1,000 to buy aftermarket.  I could have gotten a basic tube bumper for less, but I don't like tube bumpers on tacos.

I'm not a fan of aftermarket stuff if I can build it myself. I like the challenge! And you are correct about the rough price for a Jeep, which is why I didn't buy the bumpers for JD's Jeep way back when. I am now thinking about adding a swing out carrier to her bumper now that I know how to do the hinge. And if I was to build one for a Jeep, it would be much less steel. I figure around $250 for all the materials.

50 hours and 3 cases of beer,

I'd be more worried about the 3 old bearded guys in the powdercoat building that we gave the 3 cases of beer to...  :-X

Offline RnnngTrails

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
    • Facebook - Gary Lynch
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 03:42:28 PM »
I am now thinking about adding a swing out carrier to her bumper now that I know how to do the hinge.

Between myself and Ed, you have 3 different options to look at. all 3 are different hinge types and latch setups. I can show you what my two look like tomorrow if you want. I had to assemble both of my hinges so I know how they went together.

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 04:03:45 PM »
This is the hinge i used, from EMS offroad: http://emsoffroad.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=122_123&products_id=208

It's basicly an trailer axle spindle, w/ two sets of bearings, a zirk, dust cap, and seal.  This is the cheapest of this type out there. $40