Author Topic: My XJ is falling apart?  (Read 1503 times)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
My XJ is falling apart?
« on: November 05, 2008, 02:37:11 PM »
The crossmember, trans mount and engine mount change out a couple weeks ago took away part of the vibration, but wherever the remaining vibration was coming from is really getting bad now. It seems to be in the front end and now I've got some bad clunking noises in the midst of the vibrations. I've gotta get the front tires off and check my wheelbearings and other things this weekend before it leaves me stranded somewhere.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
Re: My XJ is falling apart?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:35:38 AM »
If you have a place to do the work, I will come help you tear into your's if you want to help me with my power steering issues

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 02:43:09 AM »
I wish I had a place to do the work. I went out to Rocket's place to do the last work on it. If I can get a couple hours of clear skies I'll take it apart where I park it in the road.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:50:06 AM »
call me and come back up here
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
call me and come back up here

Right now I'm actually a little afraid of getting it up to highway speeds. The growling and vibration is directly related to speed and it doesn't matter if I'm coasting down a hill or cruising along. It may be even be a little worse when using brakes coming down a steep hill so I'm thinking wheel bearings right now. It won't take long to check them. If it's not raining at lunch today I may even do it in the parking lot at work. I am back to carrying all of my tools with me again just in case I have to do a roadside emergency repair.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 12:34:13 AM »
Problem figured out. Brought it to Sears today to have them balance the tires and see if that was the problem. They do a free steering and suspension check and never got past the driver's side wheelbearing. It is completely shot and my tire moves almost inch back and forth. I'm running by Autozone on my way to church to see if they have one in stock and then heading to Rockets place to replace it tomorrow night.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 01:39:58 AM »
Good deal!  I assume you have the single unit bearings like the rest of us?  They suck in the long haul, but they are still way cheaper to replace than putting in manual hubs.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:39:35 AM »
Yep, I have the same unit bearings that TJs have. The ones in the Jeep are actually lifetime warrantied wheelbearings that I bought online a couple years ago so I'll be sending this one back to get my replacement, which will give me a spare. I just can't wait for shipping of the returned one to them and them to ship me a new one at this point. That tire has so much play it's actually a little scary.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 01:57:31 PM »
The XJ is repaired thanks to Rocket letting me borrow his garage. It sounds so much better and really helped tighten the steering. It's ready for tomorrow.
1994 YJ on 37s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 05:15:26 AM »
sweet, good deal man.