Author Topic: Planning Assistance needed!  (Read 6924 times)

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
Re: Planning Assistance needed!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »
which is still only sitting on 36"s  (though I think I'm going to go with 37"s at some point here)
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 11:25:03 PM »
yeah, the owner of vanes, said that he runs 38's and and 37's X 12.50

any thing bigger, kills your turning and you stance is often too wide to support the rig from floping

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 11:31:06 PM »
yeah, I don't know too many people around here running >40"s

again, not to say it can't be done, or wouldn't be interesting to look at.  I'm just not sure the final product would be worth the effort.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 11:54:38 PM »
yeah, I don't know too many people around here running >40"s

again, not to say it can't be done, or wouldn't be interesting to look at.  I'm just not sure the final product would be worth the effort.

or worth the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
JT4X4 Founding Member

cj-nh

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 02:10:20 AM »
I mentioned earlier running Hummer rims on Dana 60 axles.  Here is a link to pictures of a Jeep with that setup running 38" boggers. 

http://www.newjo.org/NEWJO/TDR/2005/jacob_m2004.html

My buddy Aaron and I actually competed against him back in 2004 at the Tour De Rocks.
Here was the Rig we ran.
http://www.newjo.org/NEWJO/TDR/2005/aaron_t2004.html

cj-nh

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 02:13:29 AM »
We were also running Hummer bead locks that Aaron custom made to fit onto the Unimog portal axles.  We ran with about 4lbs of pressure.  The magnesium run flats are a neat feature.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 02:20:39 AM »
wow that it awesome

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2008, 02:21:46 AM »
nice rig

cj-nh

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2008, 02:26:07 AM »
Which one Al. the YJ or the buggy?

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2008, 02:27:43 AM »
i like the buggy how did you guys place? how do  you get into that stuff. thats the stuff i'd like to do liketo tuff truck challenge

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 02:28:05 AM »
the cj buggy with the portals

looks sweet

so, where are the pics, stats of your current rig?  :)

cj-nh

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 02:36:11 AM »
I am currently doing a frame and tub swap on my current Rig.  Here are the basics:

YJ Frame
YJ Tub
CJ Nose
Chevy fuel injected Gen II, 350ci
SM 465 Tranny
Dana 300
Dana 44 front
Currently a Ford 9" rear, but I am building a Dana 44 for it.
4.11 Gears, locked front and rear.
BDS Springs 4.5 inch
TSL Super swampers on bead locks Q-78s  (The ones that I am selling)

cj-nh

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2008, 02:44:01 AM »
Hot Rod,
Getting into it is simple, you just sign up for the events.  We would find  out about them thru the clubs we wheeled with in NH and Maine.  I think we placed 6th in that one, but it was a long time ago.  The buggy is Aaron's (The motor actually came out of one of my Jeeps) he built it from scratch with help from a few of us.

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2008, 05:05:42 PM »
wow cool. if you hear of one, i sure would like to give it a go, the only thing lacking, is winch and i am running on 33's. not 35's

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »
I understand that the practicality of it is not what most would call "Wheel-able" but where I come from the bigger the tire the more fun you have...
Now don't get me wrong for tight trails as in the ones in CT, correct it's not a good idea unless you're doing a full tube w/ rear steer. However, I don't plan on living in CT again. The only reason my jeep is still there is I had no where to put it while I was over here and couldn't get it back to Illinois. So, Dauntless let me stick it at his house. Once again, Thank you for the concern, but the tire size is just a starting point... it could go up to 46's it could go down to 38's. the measurements and explaination was for best case. Once the measurements and math is done I will better know what tire size is feasable while still being a fully capable rig. The 350 gives me plenty of power to do pretty much whatever I want underneath with the axles as far as gearing/tire size, so I have tons of slop there. The rest is just getting it to look and handle the way I want it too. Roger the fact that there are not a whole lot of 40+ rigs in CT but that just means that the ones rolling and wheeling tires that big, have just gotten around the laws and are assisting in the changes that most states need to be able to enjoy our sport/hobby/life to the fullest extent possible. By rolling down the road, not driving like an ass, no matter the tire size, on any type of mud tire or "aggressive tread" you are waving you "colors" that you are into wheeling or at least "thinks it looks cool". The things that Toxic has been doing for a long time are the paper/admin side the rest of us have been doing the ignorant side (not saying in a bad way).... like in CT... can anyone tell me the allowed lift to be placed on a vehicle? How many inches can you LEGALLY raise the sprung portion of your vehicle? And how many of us are over that? I run Louisiana plates to get around it.... in LA, the height law is 72" to the tail light. How about motor swaps... anyone know the requirements for motor swaps in CT? how about must be newer than the vehicle it is being placed in.... also it had to be an option in that model. Once again, LA no requirement.
Now, mind you when completed I will probably not drive Sarah on a daily basis, but she will still be driven... Why build a truck or a jeep if you're not gonna drive it? Just like restoring a car to never take it out of the garage... just don't make sense.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville