Author Topic: Planning Assistance needed!  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
Planning Assistance needed!
« on: January 04, 2008, 08:57:08 AM »
Ok, I'm reposting this with the hopes of you guys hooking me up... ROD/JD no hi-jacking please.

I would like to start buying parts for Sarah ( I have 2 1/2 years and it would be easier to do it over the span instead of all at once) to get sarah where I would like her to be...

Here's what I need
First off I need to get base dimensions of a YJ on 33's/SUA
so I need...
- bumper height front and rear
- height from top of tire to bottom of the fender (front and back)
- Hub to bottom of fender (front and back)
- WMS to WMS (front and back)
- spring perch center to spring perch center (front and back)
- spring eye to spring eye (front and back)
- frame width outside of channel to outside of channel (front and back)
- Yoke distance from front yoke to t-case and rear yoke to t-case
- last but not least for this part is hub to hub front to back

Next I need some from the bigger vehicles (F-250/F-350)
- WMS to WMS (front and back)
- spring perch center to spring perch center (front and back)

Also... do we have any stock YJ's left? I need caster angles also. If anyone needs explanation on the what's, why's, or anything else feel free to ask....
I might be asking for more info down the line.... Planning is the hardest part
Thanks again in advance.
Ciao
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
Re: Planning Assistance needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 03:54:20 AM »
i dont want to hijack your stupid thread any ways.

:-X :-*

what is the end product you are looking for so we all have the same end goal for you?

i  really dont remember this thread to well. i just know that eric was all over fogging engine and tires. that was the last i knew.

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »
Dana 60's, 40-44" Boggers, Custom Leave springs, possibly four link front and rear if I get my welder and a good size garage. That's the next step in Sarah's build. The motor was just phase one. ON TO PHASE TWO!!!!
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 04:24:33 PM »
Why do you need WMS to WMS are you planning on keeping the 60's at stock width? I think that if you are planning on doing that to try to keep it street legal then going to 44" Boggers will be knida defeating the purpose of staying street legal, and 44" tires on a stock width Jeep in my opinion will look knida dumb and be a major rollover hazard. Just my opinion. But if you want 44" Boggers then I think you should get full size axles and then weld the perches where they need to be. But what ever your plans are I will help as much as I can.
JT4X4 Founding Member

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 04:36:07 PM »
uhm.... you don't do a 4-link with leaf springs....
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 04:47:43 PM »
yeah, I gotta agree, there's no way to take a wrangler body, and put 44"s under it and keep it streetable (and legal) while still having it perform worth a damn on the trail

you're going to need to decide if you really want to go that extreme, and have a trailer queen, or tone it back quite a bit if you want to try to stay street legal (or even reasonably streetable)

personally, I think everybody here knows what I would do!

get the 60s, keep them stock width, mount them spring over, and cut the fenders back until the 44"s fit...  :)
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 04:50:50 PM »
Alright here it is

Bumper height:f-26", r-23"
Hub to bottom of fender-f-27", r-28"
Spring perch center to center-f-31.5", r-39 3/4"
Yokes-f-42 1/4", r-17"
tire to bottom of fender- f-11", r-12"
spring eye to spring eye(inside)- f28", r-37 3/4"
frame- f-33", r- 42 1/2"
wms to wms f&r- 58"

Let me know if you need anything else.
JT4X4 Founding Member

cj-nh

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 08:21:10 PM »
Use Stock 60s and Hummer rims, since they have a deep back spacing,  Then you get bead locks too.  I would suggest a slightly smaller tire such as a 39.5.  A 44 is just too big for a YJ unless you lengthen its wheel base.  Just my 2 cents

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 05:32:03 AM »
what i was thinking to all replys.

but isnt the tallest dot tire 44's?

i love al's approach, cut it. no fenders.

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 12:12:10 PM »
There is alot of good gouge here... and I thank you for it.

The tallest DOT tire is the 54" Bogger

As for the Axles I was planning on keeping stock width of around a 86 ford F250/F350, Due to the Kingpin front D60
the tire clearance will involve alot I know. I was looking at pushing the front and rear but the measurements is what I was waiting for for the decision. i know that if I go leaves then I'll be going outside the frame, obviously SOA, but I am still looking into the 4 link idea... I have a lot of time left here and just wanted to start buying the parts I now I will need. Tires, rims, etc...

It will be a trailer queen for the most part.... having LA plates helps for driving around town. They can't say a thing to me. The only state that can in Virginia.

Cheek: thanks for the measurements I'll get crackin on the draw up so I can keep you guys updated.
cj-nh: Thanks for the idea of the hummer rims... I didn't even think about that. I was looking at the inner rim beadlocks.

Offline Cheek-Bone

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 01:49:10 PM »
Well it can be done and it would look tough, I'm just not to sure how functional it would be especially up in this area.

JT4X4 Founding Member

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 03:42:15 PM »
that is a TOXIC/CJ-NH/AL question.

dont have much ref to this question

cj-nh

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 08:18:01 PM »
A friend in NH has 44's on a 1960's vintage Willy's pickup, with Dana 60s and a small block chevy, and he has a hard time with it on many trails because it is too wide and it doesn't turn very well. 

If you want 44's it is possibe (anything is possible)  It is just not very functional for a YJ.  If you were building a tube buggy that would be a different story.
Again just my 2 cents. 

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 09:15:40 PM »
I agree 100%

possible, but not really useful for anything other than car shows and making people ask "why?"

even on tube buggies, going over 40" is really overkill for almost anything there is to do around here

hell, half the time I think my 35"s are overkill

sure was a lot easier to find challenging "trails" when I was on 31"s

Offline HOT-ROD

• Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 10:17:11 PM »
says the guy with a buggy tracker.