Author Topic: Guns and shooting events  (Read 8676 times)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
Guns and shooting events
« on: January 04, 2008, 04:57:41 AM »
Just to throw this out there, I am a Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor, so if there is anyone who is gun shy, I'll be glad to help you out.  However, seeing as how most of us are navy, or prior navy (ahem, J.D.  ;) ), there probably aren't too many gun noobs.  I have a Connecticut concealed weapons permit, so if there is anyone who needs assistance with that as well, I am available.  The only gun I have with me here in Connecticut is my 1911 .45 cal Springfield Armory.  The rest are back home in Texas.

Without even doing a ton of research, I can already tell you what our options will be:

1.)  We can try as a club to get into a local gun club, perhaps for a reduced annual fee, but probably not.  These clubs don't get too many new members each year, and are mostly regulars who pay dues.

2.)  As Alex posted, there are several places in Connecticut and Mass. to go and shoot for a daily or hourly fee.  Most of these places have guns for rent, plus ammunition.  I will do more research on this, because each of them have different requirements as far as licensing goes.

3.)  The third and least expensive, but less probable, is finding someone with a sizeable amount of private property, who would let us use their land.

Finally, in case you didn't know, in the state of Connecticut, you can not transport a pistol from point (a) to point (b) without a concealed weapons permit.  Even if you already own a pistol, and keep it in your home, you are illegal if you don't have a permit.  As far as rifles and shotguns, Al would probably know more about the subject.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Rebell Bull

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • YJ'S rule
Re: Guns and shooting events
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:07:34 AM »
I know someone with some land and loves to shoot, I will give her a call then let you know. Her dad owns a farm in N. Stonington, it is about half and hour from here. They go hunting everyyear to someplace new. They went to Austrailia this past year.
Lets go see what I can break next

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 05:13:01 AM »
The only gun I own is a Winchester 1400 12ga, but my Illiniois Firearms Owners ID card expired. I've got some other info I'm not going to post in the public forums (I'll just wait for Al to pipe up) I love shooting for fun. Let's go trap shooting sometime, I don't really have a good gun for it, but like Jeeps, you make due with what you have.

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 05:18:06 AM »
I want a gun.

I want a permit.

I want to shoot.

PM me please?
~J.D.~
"When life gets too hard to stand....crawl."

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 07:50:15 AM »
I don't have a weapon in CT...obviously! but I do have a couple back in Il. That does seem like a good idea to have some sort of outing as a club, though... I can't see someone letting us use hunting land as Wheeling land though... just do to messing with the rut. you get 10 rigs back there and the smell of human is going to go through the roof... also it might chase off anything that would call that land home. Just my .02
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:08:07 AM »
The best place that I'm aware of for indoor, unlicensed pistol shooting is Wolf's in Bristol.

http://www.wolfsrange.com/home.html

I'm really not too up on long-gun law, since I still don't own any yet.
I believe that you can purchase, own, and transport with a hunting permit, but I'm not sure about with no permit at all.

Angela and I have both had our carry permits for quite some time now, and between the two of us have quite a collection of small handguns.

There is also a state funded public outdoor range in Glastonbury, which I've never been to, that I'd like to check out at some point.

http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?Q=335934&A=2794

There are a number of other indoor pistol ranges across the state, but to my knowledge, Wolf's is the largest, and the closest to us that will allow unlicensed shooters (supervised by licensed shooters)

I haven't been there in a few years now, so we would certainly want to check that their policies have not changed.

Certainly if we could get private property permission, that would be the easiest and closest option.

Also, as for transportation, it's perfectly legal for any permit holder to transport a (otherwise legal) firearm for somebody else.

Obtaining a permit in CT, for a law abiding citizen, is a pretty easy, though not quick process.  The first step is to take a NRA certified class from a certified instructor.  Most gun shops offer classes.
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »
oh yeah, for outdoor public ranges, I think Blue Trail in Wallingford allows unlicensed shooters.

http://www.bluetrailrange.com/Home_Page.html
1988 Jeep Wrangler Sahara - 4.0, TF-999, NP-231, Dana 30 Truetrac, Dana 44 Detroit Locker, 4.88s, on 35"s

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 11:45:04 AM »
I love to shoot, but only have an old .22 rifle.  Would like to shoot it, and/or rent/borrow a gun to shoot
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 02:04:10 PM »
wouldn't mind gettin my deer rifle outa the closet and making sure it still shoots straight, but I'm not taking it outa the case/closet unless I'm sure of what is required to leagaly carry and shoot it off. I've got no interest in handguns though.

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 03:18:54 PM »
some good links for those interested in reading legalese:

a general summary, with a strong disclaimer that it is un-official
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/p/gunlaws_ct.htm

a compilation of ct firearm laws by a ct based gun club
http://rockvillefishandgame.tripod.com/a-f/ctgunlaws.htm

an official CT website with a compilation of firearms laws
http://www.jud.ct.gov/LawLib/Law/firearms.htm

an official CT website document from 2007 claiming to be a summary (probably the best document, easiest to read)
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

from the summary:
For regulatory purposes, the law classifies “firearms” into four groups:  handguns (pistols and revolvers), long guns (rifles and shotguns), assault weapons, and machine guns.
No permit or certificate is required to buy, possess, or carry long guns. But people cannot possess them, if they (1) were ever convicted of a felony or serious juvenile offense, (2) cannot legally possess firearms under federal law because they have been adjudicated as “mental defectives” or have been committed to a mental institution, or (3) know they are under a firearms seizure or restraining or protective order for using or threatening to use violence against someone else.  State law sets no minimum age for possessing long guns.
When long guns are being transported in a vehicle or snowmobile, they must be unloaded.  A violation carries a fine of $ 10 to $ 100, imprisonment for up to 30 days or both (CGS § 53-205).

I'll put my own disclaimer here, that I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know every CT firearm law, but from reading that official CT summary document, I would say that it sounds like it is legal to own, and transport an unloaded rifle in CT without any special permits or licensing as long are you aren't one of those 3 bulleted restricted people (felon, "mental defective", restraining order)

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 03:24:44 PM »
Anyone know offhand where the classes are held, how to get info, so I can start process for permit for handgun?
~J.D.~

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 03:27:39 PM »
Anyone know offhand where the classes are held, how to get info, so I can start process for permit for handgun?

Anyone needing the NRA cert course, pm me or post it here and I will compile a list.  I have a hook up, and I'll see what I can come up with.  If anything, he may be willing to hold a class for a small fee for a few of you, so you can get your cert.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »

Anyone needing the NRA cert course, pm me or post it here and I will compile a list.  I have a hook up, and I'll see what I can come up with.  If anything, he may be willing to hold a class for a small fee for a few of you, so you can get your cert.

Put me on the list. Thanks!
~J.D.~

Offline albsvx

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 03:30:36 PM »
almost any gun store or public shooting range will hold classes.

I'm not sure what, if anything, is left in the Groton area.

There is a place in Salem, on rt85 called E&B Sporting Goods.  They have their own indoor range, and last I knew they had the classes.  I think they've gotten pretty expensive though.  The place I took mine at is now closed.

I know there is also a guy in Lebanon, right at the corner of rt207 and rt87 that has a sign out in front of his home saying that he does private classes for $95.  I drive by there pretty often, I could get you the phone number next time I'm by if you're interested.

Offline Kral4me

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 03:35:54 PM »
I know there is also a guy in Lebanon, right at the corner of rt207 and rt87 that has a sign out in front of his home saying that he does private classes for $95.  I drive by there pretty often, I could get you the phone number next time I'm by if you're interested.

If Axle's inquiries don't pan, out, then yes please  ;) Let's see if he can pull off something around here first....
~J.D.~