Author Topic: NV 3550 Transmission fluid  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
NV 3550 Transmission fluid
« on: August 15, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
Anyone know WHAT transmission fluid goes into an NV 3550 manual tranny?  The only answer I can get from the dealerships is that it's a Chrysler fluid and it's $20 PER QUART!!!!  They said the bottle doesn't even have the weight printed on it.  Apparently it's a GL-S grade lubricant.  I've only seen up to GL-5, and neither Advance Auto or Bumper to Bumper know what a GL-S is or where to get it.  I'm hoping it's not so top secret that it's dealer specific.  By the way, if you think you have an AX-15 transmission, call the dealership and give them the last 8 digits of your VIN and they'll tell you what you have.  I thought it was an AX-15, but much to my joy did they tell me it's an NV 3550!  Yay!  Except for the really expensive fluid part.   >:(
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Doball

• Honorary Member
  • Rock Crawler
Re: NV 3550 Transmission fluid
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 07:53:25 PM »
Lots of info out there.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=364226

From Pennzoil website

3. What are the GLS products and why doesn't Pennzoil have equivalents?
GLS stands for Gear Lubricant Special and this is usually a product available only from the original equipment manufacturers. General Motors has several GLS products, and various other manufacturers also have their own. In order to meet our customer's needs, we now offer GM Synchromesh fluid which can be used in place of GM P/N 12345349. At this time, this is the only GLS product equivalent that we offer.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-798377.html

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=27324

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 11:18:15 PM »
Thanks, Mike.  Lots of good info there.  I think I'll go with the Royal Purple Synchromesh.  Bumper to Bumper carries RP.

I win!

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »
Well, I changed out the tranny fluid today and went with the Royal Purple Synchromesh.  All I can say is WOW!  The difference was almost immediate.  It feels like it's brand new.  No more stiffness going into first, or slippage in second.  Very nice.  I highly recommend it if you're sporting an AX-15 or NV-3550 transmission in your Jeep.

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 09:26:28 PM »
I swapped all my fluids to royal purple a while ago, HUGE difference: more power, smoother running, quiter drive train, etc!
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline mallcrawl

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 01:22:32 AM »
exelent info thank you all it be time for a fluid chang on my overcompensator and my second gear shift has always been a bit notchy.