Author Topic: Jeep doors on base  (Read 2903 times)

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
Re: Jeep doors on base
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 08:10:03 PM »
Dude, you rock!  off come the doors of the taco! (well, just as soon as i can re-locate mirrors)
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 08:43:12 PM »
Well, reading what that CDR wrote, "I could not find this rule either, although I think doors are a good idea."  I'm sure it may be brought up in future instruction revisions.  In that case, hopefully someone in the planning process of said revision will be smart enough to look up while their soft top is on and read the WARNING about the doors and top.  Elemental protection ONLY!  However, we are part of the worlds finest Navy, so we'll probably end up having to put them on at some point.  Enjoy it while it lasts!
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline Gastank

• Honorary Member
  • Mudd Hog
  • HORSEPOWER: A TIRE BURNING GOOD TIME!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 07:22:56 PM »
Of course he's going to say that it's "a good idea" just to cover his own... But there are no Laws that I know of that would prohibit a Jeep or any other vehicle with removable doors from driving either on or off base. Now that does not include driving a vehicle such as Capts' ZJ, the Taco, or Dauntless' K5, which the doors are part of the structural integrity, which I do not believe would be covered in the event they were actually stopped. This is a battle that we CAN win. However, the maturity level has correspond to what we are trying to accomplish... by all the non-jeepers removing their doors, could definitely hurt more than help. Just my .02 of course but I would recommend that all non-jeepers keep their doors on for right now until this blows over.
91 YJ, 350cid/TH400/231 4.5 RE springs, 2" Bonz shackles, 33/12.5/15 MT baja claws, and lock-rite in the rear.
"But it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation." - Herman Melville

Offline CaptORM

• Rock Crawler
    • JT 4X4
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 09:17:10 PM »
according to state law any vehicle can remove the doors as long as the rear view laws are abided by.  The only regulation comes from the insurance company with a vehicle that has side impact airbags.  Well dont have those....
I do cheeks for free just ask...

l  
 l _[==]__o___o
 l//_|__l__l,\___\,___
 l_--\__\__l_/---\_[] llll [)
  (o)_)        (o)_)--o)_)

96 Jeep Grand Cherokee
6.5" lift, 33's

Offline Sandbox Sailor

• Mudd Hog
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 01:13:41 AM »
Not going to quote the laws, but I know that they make tube doors for XJ's, so if I can take off my doors and put on tube doors, I guess that is what I will have. (Once I can afford tube doors, that is...)

Offline calvynandhobbs

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2008, 02:25:11 AM »
I've seen the XJ tube doors and they are really cool. I'd have to work on frame stiffeners and things like that before I try removing any doors. I haven't read any of the CT laws yet, but in Michigan you can remove the doors on any vehicle as long as it has a 2" lip or step down to the floor from the side so that things can't roll out the doors if they are on the floor. A friend of mine has a 78 Bronco and got a ticket for no doors because there is no lip. He actually lost a coffee mug that had rolled under the seat when he went around a corner and the mug went right out the door. Here's a pic of my friend Tim and his ZJ with the doors he fabbed himself.

1994 YJ on 37s

Offline Axle

• Honorary Member
  • Trail Master
  • Merica!!!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2008, 04:03:31 AM »
Nice!  I like the stretched wheel base.
Axle:  2
Nemesis: 1

I win!

Offline rocket

• Trail Master
  • That is what i call, "Flexing"
    • my webshots photo site - lots of wheeling pics!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2008, 05:19:00 AM »
I wouldn't run w/o doors, 4xinnovations makes nice ones for my taco w/ a set of quick-release hinges for quick swaps.  someday, after the rear bumper, x-fer case, SAS, . . .
1973 Chevy El Camino: 383 sb, lots of power
2004 Toyota Tacoma TRD 3.4L xtra cab 2.5" skyjacker coilovers/leafs, 32x11.5-15" Super Swamper TSL/SXs, Bent-up front bumper, smittybilt winch, 4xInovations sliders, Bud-built skids, custom rear bumper/light bar, hella lights, "custom" body work